20 | Butterflies

A/N: This is during Endgame! There are some slight Stucky moments in the beginning because why not? IDK if it's considered Stucky...BUT THE PICTURE AT THE TOP IS SO CUTE I CAN'T–

Warnings: Swearing, Angst

The little flutter in his stomach, the little nervous feeling going down his back over and over whenever their eyes meet. Whenever the touch, it sends chills up his arm. 

It all started back at Tony's funeral, Sam had put his hand on his shoulder comfortingly. They were close. So close. Before Steve had gone off to marry Peggy, he pulled Bucky aside to discuss the plan. 

"Bucky," Steve said to him, Bucky could sense when his best friend was on edge, nervous, angry or sad. "I'm going to go back in time and spend a life with Peggy, I'm trying to get the simple life Tony asked me to get," he explained. Bucky looked at him with pained eyes. 

"You're leaving me? Again?" Bucky said to him with his heart slowly breaking. Steve hugged him tightly, they did truly love each other. How much they went through over the many years. WWII, Hydra - everything they did for each other was for their relationship.

"I'm with you to the end of the line, pal," Steve said to him, holding each other for a long moment. They part and Steve smiles at him "oh!" he said, "I almost forgot - I'm going to give Sam my shield."

"Your shield?" he asked, "wasn't it broken?"

"I'm going to grab a new one," he explained with a smile. They stood there contemplating each other's lives they shared with each other. "Also, I want you and Sam to get along. That's my final wish before I go. You're going to be okay, yeah?"

"Of course," Bucky said with a smile, they hug again and go outside to the giant platform. 

"Don't do anything stupid until I get back," Steve told him with a bittersweet smile. "How can I?" Bucky said, returning the smile with his heartbreaking again "you're taking all the stupid with you." They hugged once more. Bucky and Sam watched as Steve stepped onto the platform. Bruce and Sam panicked after a few minutes, Bucky knew. Bucky understood, after a moment he sees Steve, an older version of him sitting on the bench.

"Sam!" he called as the both of them walked up to Steve. Sam stopped, Bucky looked at him and confirmed a nod. Sam started walking and stopped again, turning around, Bucky smiled and nodded. Sam continued, he watched as Sam got the shield. 

Shit, he felt like crying. He was proud but also sad to let his friend go. It was about time to find himself. It was about time for Steve to reconnect with himself, too.

"Oh," Steve said, asking Bucky to come forward and join them "I want you two to get along better, I can't have my two best friends fighting, now, can I?"

Sam smiled at him and laughed. Bucky and Sam's lock eyes. It was that familiar excitement through his core when he and Steve hung out in the 40s. It was that passionate strike that surged through him. It was that tingling feeling, that strong bond. This time maybe it was more than friendship. More than just friends. 

Steve smiled at Bucky, knowing that look he'd give him but he knew it was more intense and fierce. Bucky smiled at Sam and he smiled back. That familiar feeling of butterflies. He was enjoying it. 

Maybe he can get along with Sam. 

A/N: Thanks for reading!