57 | First Date

Bucky was incredibly nervous for their first date. It took him a lot of courage to even speak to Sam, let alone ask him out on a date. They've known each other for more than a year and they would say they were close. It was a quiet evening where the music was soft in the background, the clinking of cutlery can be heard and mild chatter from other tables. 

He managed to get himself a suit, well, one that Shuri helped him pick out. He tapped his fingers nervously, wondering of Sam would even show up. Bucky's stomach fluttered lightly as Sam pulled out his chair and sat down across from him, wearing a navy suit that made those dark, warm eyes pop. He smiled at bucky shyly, he smiled back. 

"Hey," Sam greeted, making Bucky smile wider. "Sorry I'm late," Sam apologised, picking up the menu and glancing at Bucky's steel blue eyes. Those eyes always made him feel at home.

"It's fine," Bucky brushes off "you're only like, a minute late." A waitress soon comes to serve them, they order their food and wait patiently. "How are you?" Sam asked him casually, they've hung our before but never in a romantic sense. "Good," Bucky replies, playing with the utensils a bit, biting his lip he sighed and looked into Sam's eyes.

"Sam, I'm nervous," he admitted, drumming his fingers on the table again. Sam smiled sympathetically. "Why?" he asks him, hiding the bundle of flowers underneath the table that he was planning to give Bucky. "What's nervous about this?" Sam said, gesturing to the area around them. Bucky shrugged, "I'm...inexperienced in the romance territory," he tells him "I haven't had a date in several years and honestly, do you want this to be a date?"

Sam smiled at him again, "of course," he says sweetly, making Bucky melt. Their food arrived and a thousand things just came flooding in Bucky's head, the worrying part of what happens next if this actually works out? Will they even go there or remain as friends? Sam smiles to himself, admiring how stunning Bucky looks and how he had covered up his metal arm entirely.

"Bucky," Sam laughed, Bucky looked up from his plate. 

"Hmm?" he replied. "Are you insecure abot your arm?" Sam asks softly, Bucky's face turned pink, knowing which arm he's refferring to, Bukcy stays quiet and nods shamefully. "Bucky," Sam grinned "there's nothing to be insecure about. We've hung out loads of times before, why isn't this any different?" Bucky sighed and looked at Sam with tears prickling in his eyes.

"Because no one wants to date a guy with a metal arm," Bucky mumbled, Sam's expression softened to a more sympathetic and gentle face. "Oh, Bucky," he says "why'd you think I'd say yes to you? I don't think you should be ashamed of what you look like, HYDRA or not..." Sam smiled, making Bucky smile with a small chuckle coming from his mouth. "You're beautiful," Sam says, gripping Bucky's hand. 

Bucky smiled and looked down to their hands. "Thank you," Bucky says quietly, finishing up his food. After they finished eating, Sam pulled out the fresh roses that he bought, Bucky's eyes lit up and he smiled widely, "aww, thank you, Sam," he said, taking the flowers and smelling them as they walked down the street together. "I had a great time," Sam told Bucky, grabbing his hand lightly, catching Bucky's attention and they locked eyes properly. A deep, loving stare that lasted only for a moment.

"Me too," Bucky smiled at him, "should we do this more often?" Sam asked him. Bucky nodded and stepped closer to Sam, cupping his face and lightly stroking his face with his thumb, leaning in for a tender kiss that created sparks and a magical feeling that can only be described as love. They parted for air and smiled at each other, true love indeed.

A/N: Thanks for reading!