28 | My Kingdom: Part 1

a/n: Prince/Kingdom AU

Every moment he couldn't waste, his kingdom was in danger and it was his fault, watching the castle cripple up in flames, he ran away with soot smeared all over his fancy dress clothes. The ball was ruined, he felt the blood seeping from his side. 

How could the Enchantress be back? She was dead, ruined and never to be seen again. Sam panted and groaned, holding his side and he felt dizzy. He grabbed a nearby tree, feeling the rough bark and the leaves rustling. He sighed and saw the glistening dark pool of blood on his hand. He wiped it on his pants and continued walking into the village. All of them recognised them as the prince. 

He fell to his knees, feeling the pulsing energy going through his veins. The Enchantress cursed him somehow, it was all a blur. Just a blinding light, he felt his eyes go heavy. One of the guards had survived, he kneeled down next to the young prince. The Enchantress had cursed him with a spell. 

A spell that could be fatal, letting him forget most things and everything around him to the point where the young prince could die. Make him become an outcast, like some of the villagers. James Barnes was the only one that cared - he had a fascination with the Prince as the weeks went on, trying to heal him. After the castle was destroyed, young maidens wanted to take care of the Prince. 

Sam woke up, after those long weeks and the healers came to help him. He was propped up against the wooden bed. Bucky understood what it was like to forget yourself, he wondered if Prince Sam knew who he was. He'd pass the castle every day to deliver mail around the village, but he only caught glimpses of Sam. He wondered what life was like in the castle, was it good or bad? Was the food better? How many rooms? But now the castle was destroyed and in fact, they don't know if the spell's effects had even taken place yet on the prince.

The guard that saved his life held him in his arms, Bucky gathered around like the other curious villagers. The moonlight hitting his dark face, the stars glistening into the night and twinkling. Bucky's friend, Steve pulled him away from the situation as they 'had no business for people like us for people like them.' That night, Bucky kneeled at the windowsill and looked up into the twinkling stars. 

He looked up and hoped, prayed that the prince would survive. Who would rule the kingdom now? His parents were dead. Now, there was, in a doorway of one of the healer's huts, holding a piece of bread(which was the best he could do) and watching Sam take in his surroundings. Bucky bit his lip, "excuse me..." he said awkwardly "your highness, sir, I brought bread. I'm sorry if it's not up to your standards–"

"It's fine," Sam smiled "I'm glad I have someone other than a young woman trying to marry me today. What's your name, young man?" The smile made Bucky's heart jump, flutter and do many somersaults in his chest. 

One action can change his reaction in just a second. "James, sir," Bucky replied, blushing a little. Sam welcomed him in and pointed to a nearby wooden chair. Bucky sat down and handed him the bread, Sam thanked him and put it aside. His side was bandaged from the wound from the escape of the castle. There must be a reason why the Enchantress is back... Sam thought.

"Sir," Bucky bit his lip "what's going to happen to your kingdom?" Sam paused and looked at him. "My kingdom?" Sam replied, biting his lip and sighing, shaking his head "I need help. I need someone to help me rule by my side. I just don't know who, James." 

The way he said his name in a calm way, it made him go weak or have even more butterflies. In no way can Sam rule right now, he was in no condition. He was too battered, broken and injured to rule. "I don't have friends," Sam mumbled under his breath "I'm not the most social person out there - will you be my friend, James?"

"Sure, your highness." Bucky smiled and then he felt Sam take his hand suddenly and he felt even more nervous. Sam looked at him with pleading eyes "James...if I don't make it, look after my kingdom?" Bucky was sitting there, shocked. "Of course, your highness," Bucky promised him, Sam's arm was shaking and he slowly lifted up Bucky's hand and kissed it weakly. He coughed and he nodded for him to go, Bucky turned for the door but then stopped in his tracks.

"I'm going to be here for you, your highness," Bucky said to him, ending with a low bow and exiting the healer's hut. Sam smiled to himself, knowing that his kingdom was in good hands. He felt the energy rushing through him again, the pulsing beat coursing through his veins and his body. 

He tensed up, breath hitching and looking up to the ceiling with heavy breath. The magic was getting stronger and so was the curse. He hoped that the bond was strong. He had to pick the right person. The family secret that stayed. The magic must go on to the next soulmate. Once he kissed James' hand it was done. The seal. The bond. The promise.

The soulmate for his kingdom and himself.

a/n: Thanks for reading!