25 | Questions

Bucky had been asking a lot of questions lately. Sam and Bucky shared a bunk bed and would have 'deep' conversations into the night. It all started when the Avengers had to attend a speech about the thinking process and how quickly you must react and all that hero stuff. 

That night when Sam had just finished his shower, Bucky in his pyjamas, reading a book on his top bunk, he asked the first question. 

"Hey, Sam?" Bucky asked, resting down his book on the tangled blankets and turning on his back with his head hanging freely with his hairs dangling. "Yes?" Sam said bluntly as he walked to his drawer to find a shirt, Bucky's eyes followed Sam's dark-skinned body. He was enjoying the sight of a ripped Sam Wilson. "Would you catch me if I ever fell from a building?"

"I think Steve would catch you," Sam replied, pulling a shirt over his head and his body.

"Yeah but, would you?"

"If Steve or anyone else told me I had to do it, I would," Sam replied simply and lied down in bed "now put your head on that pillow of yours, I don't like seeing your head in my face." Bucky laughed at the comment and continued to pester him. "But would you do it in general? Like, for example, if I accidentally fell off a building–"

Sam interrupted him, "You'd know I'd be the reason why you fell of the building, yeah?" Sam said rather bitterly, pulling the covers over his head. Bucky sat up and decided to climb down the metal ladder and pull up a chair. He enjoyed annoying Sam, he liked the way Sam would smile at some jokes or how he groaned and scrunched up his face. "Yeah but you know in general."

Sam groaned in annoyance and sat up "I'm giving you one chance to shut up, James or else I will punch you in the face." Bucky looked at him, scrunching up his nose with accompanied by a playful smile. 

"Cute," he replied, Sam rolled his eyes, gently pushing Bucky away from him. Bucky laughed again and pulled the chair even closer. Sam dived his head in the pillow and gave a deep sigh, "stop, we need to sleep."

Bucky whined and started spinning in the chair "but I'm booored!" he whined, pouting. Sam sighed and got up, stopping Bucky from spinning, facing him sternly. "I swear, ask another question and you'll be sleeping in the hallway." he threatened. Bucky's face fell and he shut up and nodded. He climbed the ladder, hearing Sam sigh in relief.

"Sam," he said but Sam shut him up, they switched off the lights and went to bed. Bucky couldn't sleep. Sam could. Bucky was fascinated by Sam and wanted to know more about him, every little detail about Sam. 

If only he could tell Sam he meant so much to him. In. fact, Sam meant the whole world to Bucky and he didn't know how to put his feelings into words. The way he smiled made him fill with joy. "I'm sorry," Bucky choked out quietly. Sam couldn't hear him. He was asleep.

The next night was different, Steve had checked on them to find Bucky lying down on his back, peppering Sam with questions.

"Sam?" Bucky asked him.

"What now?" Sam groaned.

"Are you single?"

"Yes," Sam replied simply, also lying on his back and staring at the metal bars, he could see the mattress above him.

"Do you like girls or guys?" Bucky asked him. This question would determine whether or not he had a shot at being with Sam.

"Too personal," Sam growled.

"Hey guys," Steve said, walking into their room. "Hey, Steve," Sam greeted him. Steve nodded towards Bucky "is the jerk giving you any trouble?"

"I don't think I am, punk," Bucky replied, rolling to his side to meet Steve's face.

"Well," Sam said with a heavy sigh, "he keeps on asking me questions. He's like a child. I don't understand his ways." Steve shook his head and laughed, he wished them goodnight and closed the door. It was silent for a moment. "Sam?" Bucky started again but Sam groaned and stood up angrily, he almost hit his head on the bunk bed. 

"Why don't you just shut up and go to sleep?!" Sam cried. Bucky opened his mouth then closed it, staying silent for the rest of the night.  He felt like crying. So, carefully in the middle of the night, he awoke, carefully trying not to wake Sam up he tip-toed into Steve's room and broke down crying. 

He had no idea why. He's been hurt before but this time it hurt because he loved Sam. More than anyone he had come across. More than a friend. "Bucky?" Steve said, waking up and comforting him "what's wrong?" he asked gently. "S-Sam," he stuttered, burying his face in Steve's shoulder "it's Sam," he managed to get out "Steve, I love him so much and I have no idea what to do," he explained. 

"Oh, Bucky," he said to him, pulling him in for a long hug.

The next night was way different. Bucky didn't want to risk asking questions. The thing was, Sam actually missed that peppering voice and without it, he couldn't sleep. They needed each other. "Bucky," he said to him.

"Y-yeah?" Bucky answered, stuttering out the response. 

"Do you think cows ever sneeze?" Sam asked him.

Bucky smiled to himself, realising what Sam was doing "maybe." he replied with a smile.

"Would you like to join me down here?"

"Sure," Bucky laughed, climbing down the ladder and sitting next to Sam. They had a bit of cuddle time, they had no idea what caused this sudden intimate bond but they were liking it. "I will catch you," Sam said suddenly, breaking the silence. 

"What?" Bucky looked up from him, confused. "I'm answering your question from earlier. Yes, I would catch you. Missing or not." Sam replied, turning to face him. They were under the covers, holding each other peacefully. Bucky smiled at him, blushing a little "is this your way of saying 'I love you', Wilson?" he teased. Sam laughed and they locked eyes.

"Maybe," Sam said, cupping his face and kissing him softly. Bucky smiled into the kiss and they laid there, holding each other after a while.

"Sam?"

"Yes, Bucky?" Sam replied.

"What are we?"

"Whatever you want us to be."

"Like...even boyfriends?" Bucky asked nervously, Sam smiled at him, kissing his cheek. "Yes, Jamie. Even boyfriends." Sam replied with a smile, kissing Bucky for another time.

a/n: Thanks for reading!