Chapter 1 - Hybrids and Humans

Today was like any other day, just the usual routine of working and returning home to relax until getting tired and going to bed.
My life was simple, I worked at a coffee shop and lived on the second floor of  an apartment building at the edge of the city. It was a good place to live, the area was quiet and a short distance from work that was located near the shopping districts.

I was happy with my life at the time, working somewhere I liked and even having a boyfriend of 7 months

I was happy with my life at the time, working somewhere I liked and even having a boyfriend of 7 months. But I knew that others lives were nowhere near as peaceful.

   It had become a normal lifestyle for everyone to have hybrids, unfortunately they were treated like lesser beings ever since they were created.

   Originally hybrids were made to improve and perfect the human gene as a whole, to progress humanity toward the next phase of evolution. Scientists wanted to harness the resilient abilities of animals to assure our survival, that is what they had planned at least. Many of their test subjects that successfully changed from human to hybrid did not last long after transforming.

   It became apparent things would have to be done from the very beginning rather than using currently living beings. They created them, raised them, experimented on them, trying to combine all the genes into one body.

The subjects formed tails, claws, animal like ears, and on rare occasions produced eyes that resembled an animals. Those side effects didn't cause problems but still they had failed again on the entire experiment. A single host could retain genes from only one animal, any more interference would create a monster.

   Once the public learned of hybrids everything became about money, people with power and money wanted one for themselves, they would pay for the experiments and claim ownership over the resulting hybrid.

   Eventually hybrids would come to be seen as products. Their only purpose now was to be sold, bred, and used by humans for labor while some were created for military use.

   An average hybrid would appear as a human but with ears and a tail relating to the animal they share their genes with. A few were made with the genes of a predator making them stronger and faster than any human and superior to others that only had the genes of prey type animals.

They were exploited for anything, from being objects for pleasure to becoming the most violent fighter in the ring, fighting for survival, to earn their master more cash. There were no laws to protect a hybrid from any mistreatment even though it was understood they were capable of acting and communicating like humans.

The only law was to keep any indecent or violent activity out of the public eye. Abuse, rape, cannibalism, anything done to a hybrid was considered legal as long as it is kept hidden. However, if any of those illegal actions were done to a human by a hybrid it could result in being sent to the military, unwillingly used as a weapon or in extreme cases, death.

As time passed, owning a hybrid was no longer just for the rich. I would often see my own neighbors passing by followed by their hybrids having no choice but to carry everything bought during their masters outing.

Hybrids were raised to blindly follow the control of the owner and not question their own purpose so in most cases they remain at a mental state where they require help or being trained to even bathe and feed themselves.

I had no interest in adopting my own, a preference that only a small number of humans shared, simply because I still like having my own space. The most unappealing factor would be having to provide for an entire humanlike creature that can only act like an animal.

I'm sure that some owners could care less and provide the least care possible, just enough to keep them alive, but I would feel more than guilty if I would have to do that to my own hybrid. I will just have to accept that part of society exists and carry on with my own responsibilities, after all I am still trying to figure things out for my own life.
—————————

Published July 2019