Chapter 24 - The Price

They were locked up in small cages before being carried to the back of a large vehicle. There were many containers and boxes also being taken but they were the only two people to be put into the truck. They were placed behind a stack of boxes to be hidden and tied to the bars of their cage with cloth over their mouth to keep them quiet. The only positive thing was that they were next to each other and were able to see each other, it was the closest distance they have been for so long since they were taken.

The truck rocked back and forth, the only thing they could do was look at each other for the entire ride, unable to communicate but finding  comfort in the close proximity of each other.

Y/n now remembered what Geonhak had told her a long time ago when they first met. She recalled how he mentioned his escape as he and other hybrids were being transported to a new location. She now knew how he must have felt before, being bound and put into a small cage then sent away to some stranger in charge of their future.

This time Geonhak just sat there not attempting to do anything as if he had given up any hope to break free. The thought filled her with distress and fear of what was to come for them once they were delivered to the next place.
——-

The large door opened and the muffled sounds of men became more clear after each box was removed and gradually uncovered them. The ride felt like it only lasted a few hours but it could have been any amount of time without a way to keep track.

'Ah there they are, looks like they made it just fine. These two are supposed to be in the next auction so take them to room three.'

Reader POV
——-
We stayed silent and observed the surroundings as they carried us into a large building and down a tunnel of many doorways, the workers did not bother to even look at us the entire time. Apparently 'room three' was just a small, dark room filled with other living things to be sold off.

There was only one lamp in the room leaving it dimly lit, just enough to see a few small animals and two other hybrids contained on the other side of the room looking broken and tired. The room was nearly full making us set closer to the front of the room by the door.

Before the workers left they pulled out syringes and used them on us, if only I knew about it maybe I could have tried to resist if even to make their job more difficult. Our mouths were uncovered as they used knives to cut us free from all of our bindings, we might be able to move in our cages now but my body started feeling numb and weak.

My consciousness stayed in tact but all I could do was lie down against the cold metal flooring of my container. Geonhak took longer than I did before doing the same and collapsed too, once we were fully incapacitated the men walked out and shut the door.

(This must be how they have the other living creatures so quiet and under control.)

'Y/n. Can you still speak?'

'I..... can.' I did my best to respond clearly to him, my voice was only a whisper but I knew he would be able to hear me easily. My body was too numb to move and I was not able to see him but could tell by his voice that he was facing me when he spoke.

'I'm sorry.' Was all he said.

'Will we be able to get away from here?' I desperately asked him.

He didn't answer.

'Geonhak?'

No answer. He did not say anything to me after my question. I could only stare at the lamp and wait for anything to happen next. I soon fell asleep.

The door swiftly opened and hit the wall with force, making a loud noise to wake us and the other sleeping hybrids in the room.

'Wake up it's time to eat your food.' Someone said in a gruff voice.