Chapter 4 - Meeting and Eating

Youngjo had left on his trip only a week ago and I had begun to miss him already. The idea was to distract myself and focus on the coffee shop then return home to watch another episode of my favorite shows. Nothing special happened but at the time I had no idea what life changing decision would happen upon me tomorrow.

It almost seemed like the rain would never let up, my original plan was to get groceries after work but with all this rain that plan is being reconsidered. With my luck if I were to go to the store there would be no taxis around to get me and my groceries home dry. Spring time was not an easy time for anyone that walks for their main form of transportation.
This time I had a coat better prepared for the weather thanks to Youngjo leaving me a parting gift before he left, that and his umbrella which I remembered to bring today as well.
The streets were filled with the sounds of wet footsteps which has become a recurring and familiar sound lately. I continued down the sidewalk, a hand in my pocket with the other holding the umbrella. Following my normal route home, I passed by a familiar alley when something unsual appeared from the side of my vision. Something seemed off.
There was figure of a man lying on his back in the center of the alley where there was no coverage from the rain. I stood there staring for a few moments waiting for any signs of movement but as each second went on it became more tempting to get closer.

(Anyone that wanders into a city alley ends up in trouble, that happens in movies more than real life though... right?) I questioned myself.

That was it, my curiosity got the better of me. I slowly walked into the alley, prepared to run if I noticed anything suspicious. I got close enough to see him. Lying motionless in a small pool of rain water, he nearly looked dead but the subtle hoarse breathing from him said otherwise.
   He was dirty and covered in fresh scratches, one beneath his left eye, one across his nose, and some extending from his lips to his right cheek. Clearly he had been swiped across the face by a set of claws, possibly belonging to a hybrid.
   With me standing over his body there was no more rain hitting his face, providing him some relief from the cold water that fell from above. I didn't expect him to open his eyes even though it was only small amount before closing them again.
'Hey. are you... alive?' I had started to sound more worried by each moment that passed.

There was no answer but it was obvious the man was in pain. The alley was silent and empty but mood felt more eerie than it was peaceful. If it weren't for the water covering his face I might have seen tears running from his eyes but they were hidden well thanks to the weather.
Without thinking too far ahead I placed my umbrella over him, balancing it in place the best I could and quickly ran to the nearest store for food and water. I was completely invested at this point, maybe there was something I could do to help.
Hurrying back to the man, nothing had appeared different. I wasn't expecting him to get up and walk away but he hadn't even moved at all.
Sitting on my knees next to him, the first thing I took from my bag was a bottle of water and began to remove the cap. He didn't notice or make any attempt to move so the next idea was to calmly get his attention.

'Hey there is water here and ~'

He sits up suddenly with a loud gasp for air, surprising me. I assumed he was going to attack me, my arm crossed in front of me in defense causing me to lose balance. My other arm stopped me from falling on my back completely but ultimately did not prevent me from landing in the puddle of water.
As I fell backwards, he reached for my bag and forced it from my arm, tearing the weak paper like handle apart. I glanced up at him, getting my first look at the man acting in a more lively manner than seconds before. The food packaging was shredded instantly and he was already aggressively eating what I had bought.
Everything was consumed so fast it was only at this time I got a good look at him. There were two ears at the top of his head that perfectly blended with his golden hair, this man was a hybrid, more specifically he was a Lion hybrid, they were not too common among the population.
   I looked behind him and sure enough there was a tail lying still on the ground covered in water and mud.
After having eaten he now was sitting quietly looking down, hands rested on his lap. His whole body was beginning to shiver and the cold was starting to get to me also.
   At that point I wanted to hurry and get us both someplace warm but home was closer than any hotel around here. Should I just ask him to come with me? He looked miserable and that ultimately made me choose to offer him my home for the night.

'If you don't have anywhere to go... then you can come with me.' He gave me a dirty look as if he didn't trust me whatsoever.

If he had more strength I'm sure he would be giving me a more frightening expression.
I was becoming frustrated, if he didn't accept my offer right now he would be dead by morning. I held his wrist and gently but forcefully pulled him to his feet.

'Just come with me, or do you think I am a threat to you?' My tone made it sound as if I was challenging him.

   That made one of his hybrid ears twitch then he reached out and held onto my arm keeping his eye contact to the ground. I assumed that was his way of showing approval so I placed the umbrella above our heads and lead him back to the apartment.
__________