Chapter 6 - Intruder

The next morning should have been like any Tuesday. This time it felt completely different, I sat up in bed and recalled the events of the day before. It seemed almost too unreal however it certainly was part of my reality now.

The first thing on my mind was to see if he was awake. I got out of bed and walked across the hallway into the guest room. The window to the room opened up directly to the balcony allowing me to peer out and see the hybrid still asleep and tucked into the pile of blankets and pillows.
That sight made me feel relieved to be honest, his light calm breaths were the only sound. The expression on his sleeping face directly contrasted from yesterday, now looking peaceful and sweet as the sunny weather added to his brightened appearance.

I wouldn't be able to wait for him to wake up, I still needed to leave for work but wanted to leave him with a few more things before going. Two bottles of water, medicine for his cuts, and three sandwiches were packed into a bag for him. This seemed like a satisfying amount to leave behind after seeing how much he ate in the alley. A note was included in the bag as well, possibly my last chance to communicate with him.

Note : 'I left the window unlocked, it opens up into an unused guest room. You can stay in it if you want. I left for work already but I will be back later.' The note was short and simple to understand.

After placing the bag near him I had left the apartment. There was something that I couldn't stop thinking about that day, that brief moment when we looked at each other left me wanting to see him again.
The day went by slowly, my thoughts constantly keeping me distracted. This strange situation offered plenty of new things to be curious about.

I had returned home for the day to find an empty balcony. All sandwiches were eaten and only one bottle was missing, it looked like he used the medicine but I wished he would have taken the whole bag of items instead. He left the laundry inside the guest room setting below the window. As for the note, it was gone. There was no other sign of his presence left behind.
-----

The remainder of the week was unusually quiet, every return to the apartment was a repeat of hope and disappointment.
Deep inside I was wishing maybe I'd come home to see him there again but each time I would find the house empty it would chip away at any hope remaining. Regardless, the window was kept unlocked the days following his disappearance. After what felt like forever of waiting, the weekend had already arrived before I knew it.
Tonight was the best opportunity to stay up late playing games and watching all my unfinished shows, at one point Youngjo called and we talked for about an hour before he needed to end the call. The conversation went ok, internally I was debating if I should mention the hybrid man but decided against it, there was no reason to give him anything to worry over.
By the end of the night exhaustion took over causing me to fall asleep on the couch.

        Sshhupp!

A loud unfamiliar noise woke me from my sleep. This has never happened before and it definitely wasn't something to ignore. Knowing something was suspicious, I looked for the best way to defend myself. Collecting a knife from the kitchen the fear became stronger knowing I, alone, had to find out what was causing the noise. The sound came from one of the rooms in the hallway but what if I pick the wrong room first.

(That false move might be the end of me)

Quietly moving toward the rooms another sound echoes through the hall, the closer I walked the more unnerved I became.
        Keeeek

(Was that from.. a bed?)

Taking a deep, silent, breath my hand grips the doorknob to the first bedroom and swiftly opens the door.
———-
3rd POV
   Catching a glimpse of the intruder, the girl fell to her knees, dropping the knife when all the strength in her legs had gone. The panic that took over moments ago escaped her body, now replaced by relief. It was not easy to regain control of her emotions once seeing there was no danger. After being absent for so long the man had returned.