65.

Pleadings

       “THE Wei clan were all arrested and is now awaiting for their execution!” Yan Gen's breath hitched, they were not awaiting for a judgement from the emperor to justify their actions but for their execution. “An execution?!” He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, trying to calm himself. There's no use panicking over it. The Wei clan are all devils, they must have a way out.

       Yan Gen doesn't remember the Wei clan being executed. Sure, the male lead in the original story used their bloody hands to established himself on the throne and that's the reason why he didn't exterminate them, he probably get rid one or two of them that refused to cooperate with him but that was it. “Tell me in details” if they were to be executed then why is he here safe and sound?

       Although he's now a wangfei, it's all the more reasons to execute him along with his clan. A criminal in the midst of the imperial family is simply unacceptable, furthermore Zhu Mingli and him just got married, the imperial family will assume that their strong feelings to each other as husband and wife is yet to be established.

      “Most of the officials have gone against the Wei clan and pinned many different crimes to them, corruption, swindling, and illegal transactions to name a few. Some of those officials were the second and fifth prince supporters. No one in the court speak up for them, not even those white-eyed wolf Ping clan who made the Wei clan as their stepping-stone” The Ping clan is his maternal clan and they're also willing to watch their daughter go down the execution ground.

        I guess the loss of wealth and power is more frightening for them.

       It seems that the fifth prince supporters were also against their union, why then would they helped to bring down the Wei clan of his wife's? “Wangfei, his highness... his highness had gone to the palace without you to plead to the emperor on your behalf, he's kneeling in front of the imperial court hall. Noble Consort Su tried to persuade him to go back but he refused” that explains why he's still here safe and sound. He doesn't understand. Why would Zhu Mingli go that far for him? Has he forgotten his own ambition?

       His majesty must be greatly disappointed with his fifth son. Being intoxicated by a beauty, forgetting his own senses. However he doesn't have a right to reprimand him, didn't Wei Zhilan also intoxicated him and manipulated him in the original story of Mischievous Consort? They're truly father and son.

       Though only Yan Gen knew this things. The events in the original story were already abandoned the moment he possessed Wei Zhilan's body.

        “How about Wei Yuu?” Meigui sniffled and thought for a moment “Young master Wei... I didn't see him being arrested, it is said that a few of Wei clan retainers have escaped and is now being hunted by the soldiers. He probably escaped, hopefully...” Hearing this, Yan Gen was a bit elated. Wei Yuu is a smart ass, he'll surely know what to do to help their clan from this peril.

       Come to think of it, Yan Gen doesn't remember Wei Yuu being mentioned in ‘Mischievous Consort’, nonetheless, he remebered that one of the first prince's aids from claiming the throne is the heir to the Wei clan though most of the Weis are siding with the fifth prince. Why did he only remember that now?

       Could it be that the matter is not just about the crimes the Wei clan have accumulated over the years?

       They must be forcing Zhu Mingli to abandon him and cut off Wei clan, either because Noble Consort Su has recently been notified that the Wei is riding two boats at the same time despite tying the knot with her son or because the second prince, Zhu Cheng, knew that the first prince has the Wei clan behind his back while the fifth prince married their precious daughter. To bring down the Wei is hitting two brids with one stone, he can weaken both of the first and fifth prince's power and influence over the court. He must have known that Zhu Mingli will never abandon him.

        Near dawn, Yan Gen heard footsteps from the corridor coming to his direction. A large hand grabbed his thin shoulder. Yan Gen slowly lifted his heavy eyelids and make out Zhu Mingli's blurry figure “You're back?”

        “hmm...” he said in response and carried him inside their chamber “Why are you sleeping outside? You will catch a cold. Were you waiting for me?” Yan Gen can detect the gentleness in his voice and he blink a few times to clear his vision.

        He saw Zhu Mingli's tired face when he look up, he has dark circles and his lips look dry and cracked. Kneeling in front of the court hall early in the morning until now without eating or even drinking a drop of water, of course he will look like this.

       Under no circumstances will Yan Gen admit that he isn't waiting for him. He merely got out of the chamber to feel the night breeze and cool his mind after hearing the news from Meigui. He feel bad so he told a lie “I was worried about you” a delightful smile crossed his face and it made Yan Gen guiltier. “As long as you care about me...” Zhu Mingli trailed and laid him on the bed, he proceeds to cover him with a blanket.

       It's not like he's the one who kneeled all day long, why treat him this way? “You should eat your fill and rest” Yan Gen reminded and he saw his eyes literally radiated. Zhu Mingli obediently nodded “I will. You sleep first, you're tired too”

       “I heard about it, my clan...” Yan Gen stared at him for a long time and he noticed Zhu Mingli stiffen when he mentioned it. He forced a smile “You don't have to worry, Lan-er. I won't let you be put in harm's way and I will not let your clan members be executed as well”

       For some reason, his heart skipped a beat for a moment. Perhaps it was because he was trying to shoulder all his problems, not willing to let him worry when he has things he should be more concerned about. Yan Gen raised his small soft hand to held his callused filled fingers, and said “Thank you...”

Votes and Comments are highly appreciated :)

©Editer