Cause & Effect

"Uhh excuse me, Mr. Norman?" The nurse called. Jace wiped his tears and looked up at her, "Yes?"

She gave him a sympathetic smile, "The doctor wants to speak with you Mr. Norman" she informed and Jace stood up immediately and so did Sean. Stefan and Tina had gone to the cafeteria to get coffee.

The nurse ushered them to the doctor's office, "He's waiting for you" she gave him a half-smile and left.

Jace opened the door and went in. "Ahh, Mr. Norman, please take a seat" the doctor smiled softly.

"How is she, doctor? Is she okay? Please tell me she's okay!" Jace inquired frantically as Sean rubbed his back trying to calm him down.

"Please Mr. Norman, take a seat. Your sister's fine" the doctor assured him.

Jace nodded as he and Sean sat in the chairs in front of the desk.

"Okay, so here's the thing Mr. Norman, we have run the tests and your sister is not in any danger" The doctor informed and Jace blew out in relief, "Thank you, doctor, thank you so much"

"Although, she's lucky the drug dosage was minimal this time so it didn't have a major effect on her nervous system but next time....."

"Wait, drug dosage? What are you talking about, doctor?" Jace inquired perplexed.

The doctor looked at him confused, "So she doesn't have a drug problem?"

"No doctor, she doesn't!" Jace replied baffled by that question.

"Ohh" the doctor paused for a second to think, "Okay then, ahh we'll conduct a few more tests and let you know Mr. Norman" she said simply causing Jace to become more suspicious.

"Is something wrong with my sister ma'am? Was she drugged? What happened to her?" Jace began to feel his anxiety levels increase.

"Please calm down Mr. Norman, I'm sure everything's fine" she reassured him.

"But you said...." Jace began to speak but Sean spoke up, "Jace, why don't you come with me buddy?" he said as he took his hand and led him outside the room.

"What happened to my sister Sean? What's the doctor talking about?" Jace inquired once they were back in the waiting room.

"Please calm down buddy, nothing happened to your sister" Sean assured him but Jace wasn't convinced.

"No Sean, tell me what happened?" Jace demanded sternly.

Sean huffed and began reciting the story, "Stefan and Tina took me to the bar this evening, trying to set me up with some random girl but it turns out she already has a boyfriend and was just looking for a one night stand. So, I told her no and we came out of the bar and were walking to the bus stop when we heard feeble cries for help coming from the nearby alley and we went to see who it was...." Sean paused for a second contemplating if he should continue or not.

"And it was my sister?" Jace finished it for him.

Sean nodded, "Yes, I'm sorry buddy" he replied sympathetically.

Jace closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths as tears rolled down his eyes. "Who was she with, Sean?" Jace inquired in an even tone trying not to lose his temper.

"She was with some guy Jace but....."

"Who was that guy and what did he do to my sister, Sean?" Jace inquired trying to control his rage.

"Look, buddy, it doesn't matter who it was. Stefan and I took care of him and he's in the jail now but Ella......" Sean trailed off unsure if he should continue.