Regrets & Apologies 😔

The next morning over breakfast, Jace observed that his wife had become very quiet. He gently placed his hand over her arm breaking her train of thought.

"Rie, are you okay?" He inquired in a soft voice.

She turned to look at him, looking back at her with so much love. This brought fresh tears in her eyes and Jace noticed it. "Babe, are you crying?"

When he brought his hand up to wipe her tears, she quickly turned her head and wiped her tears away. "N....no Jace, I'm not crying. It's just allergies" she replied as she continued to eat her food, not meeting his eye.

Jace studied her demeanor and he was sure that something was bothering her. "Rie, tell me, did something happened? Did I do or say anything to upset you?" He asked further, worry written all over his face.

She looked at him, giving him a convincing smile. "No baby, it's not that....."

"Please Rie, if you're mad about Emily, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to keep it from you, I just.....I didn't want to lose you" he apologized, lowering his eyes.

"No Jace, it's......" Riele closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Actually baby, I.....I need to tell you something" she said hesitatingly.

"Sure precious, you can tell me anything" Jace smiled softly.

Riele took his hands in hers and looked into his dough eyes bracing herself. "Jace, I....." She was interrupted by his phone ringing.

Jace saw that it was his professor calling him and he didn't want to be rude, so he received it.

"Good morning, Dr. Hoffman......yes sir, we're still in Boston.......oh thank you, sir, we would be honored.......okay sir, see you soon" Jace spoke into the phone and hung up.

"That was Dr. Hoffman and he invited us over for lunch," Jace informed his wife.

"That's nice baby, maybe he wants to discuss with you about that job he was talking about yesterday," Riele said taking a bite of her pancake. She decided to wait until later to tell him the truth.

"Oh ahh about that, I don't think I'm going to take that job, Rie," Jace said causing Riele to look up at him in puzzlement.

"Why baby? I thought it was your dream" She tilted her head in confusion.

"It is but....." He trailed off lowering his eyes as he played with his food.

"What is it, baby?"

"I'm not cut out for that job, Rie. I'm just a middle school teacher" He replied in a small voice, keeping his gaze on his plate.

That phrase "just a middle school teacher" brought with it a wave of guilt as she remembered the hundreds of times she used to humiliate him using those exact same words.

"Jace, don't you say like that, baby. You are more than just a middle school teacher and you know that. Come on baby, this is a great opportunity for you" She encouraged him.

"But what if I don't fit in?" He voiced his apprehensions.

She took ahold of his one hand causing him to look up. "Jace, I'm sure you'll fit in just right. You are a genius, baby, and I have belief in you that you'll do great at this job. You just have to believe in yourself"

Jace nodded his head. "Okay but if I take this job, I'll have to put in long hours and that means I won't be able to spend as much time with you, my mom, and Ella. I promised my dad that I will be there for my family and I can't break that promise," he argued further.

"I understand that baby and you have been there for your family all these years but this is your passion, Jace. Opportunities like this come only once" She tried to convince him.