Invitations & Surprises

After dinner, Jace was heading upstairs when Ella called him. "Jacey, this came for you in the mail today morning," she said handing him an invitation.

"For me?" He asked, squinting his eyebrows wondering as he looked at the envelope in his hand. Upon seeing his university logo, Jace opened the invitation with curiosity and read it.

"What is it, sweetheart?" Jennifer inquired him.

"Ahh nothing mom, it's just one of my professors at MIT is retiring next month and they're organizing a farewell party for him" he replied causing Riele to open her eyes wide in shock 👀

"Which one, Jacey?" Ella inquired further.

"Dr. Hoffman, my thermodynamics professor" he replied.

"Oh isn't he one of your favorite professors?" Ella said remembering.

"Yeah, he was" Jace replied before going upstairs.

Riele, on the other hand, was astonished because she didn't know that her husband went to MIT. She always used to taunt him for working as a middle school teacher, saying that if he had gone to a better school, he would've ended up with a decent job. She just assumed he went to some local community college but never expected that he graduated from one of the prestigious universities in the country. The sad fact was she never really cared to ask and instead took every opportunity she could to insult, mock, and hurt him.

After a quick research on the internet, she found out that he in fact is an Aerospace Engineering graduate from MIT and that he was the valedictorian. Riele shook her head and mentally facepalmed herself for being so ignorant in the past.

When she went to their room, she saw that he was still awake and laying in bed, staring at the ceiling. She changed into her nightwear and got under the covers beside him. Laying on her side with her head propped up in the palm of her hand, she looked at him. "What are thinking about, baby?" She asked, breaking his train of thought.

He turned his head to look at her, reaching over he caressed her cheek. "Nothing, just stuff" he replied with a soft smile.

Riele returned his smile. "So, this farewell party for your professor, when is it?"

"Ah, the first weekend of next month. Why?"

"No reason, I just wanted to make sure I don't have any appointments during that weekend" Riele replied with a smile.

"Oh ahh you don't have to do that Rie"

"Why, Jace?" Riele demanded in an angry tone.

"Because I'm not going" he mumbled, lowering his eyes.

"You're not!? But I thought you said he's one of your favorite professors" Riele tilted her head in puzzlement.

"He is but.......Hey, I forgot to tell you, Mr. Adams called me this afternoon and said the house will be ready in two weeks" Jace said changing the subject.

Riele squinted her eyes and replied. "Okay.....but why don't you wanna go to your professor's party?" Riele asked steering the conversation back to the main topic of discussion.

Touching a hand to his mouth, he feigned a yawn. "It's getting late, Rie. Why don't we go to sleep?" His tone indicating that he didn't want to discuss any further on the topic.

"Okay baby, good night" she gave him a sweet kiss and snuggled up to him, drifting off to sleep.

******************************************************************************************

Four days later, Jace and Riele returned home from their date. As soon as they walked in, Jace stood rooted to his spot, seeing the person sitting on the couch. Riele was also shocked but more than that she was apoplectic.