Chapter 1

Belle Fawn

"I'm smart, I'm strong, I can do this."

Steam came off from the heat as my brunette hair became straighter. My reflection was staring back at me while I tried to calm my nerves. Waves of blue were fighting behind my eyes, and the red lipstick I applied made my olive complexion stand out. Once I finished my last strand, I stood back to examine my outfit. It was a black pencil skirt paired with a burgundy blouse button-up that was tucked into my skirt.

"Belle, come on, you'll be late." I heard Gracie yell from downstairs.

I've been sharing an apartment with my best friend since college. When we lived in California, we also shared an apartment, and now that we're back in New York, our hometown. We both found a place to rent for the summer until we go back for my last year. I was homeschooled for the most part and graduated at seventeen. Gracie wasn't, so she joined me later on, which is why this was my last year and not hers.

"I'm coming." I shouted, unplugging the straightener I smoothed my hair down for a quick second.

College was tough since I didn't quite get through my socializing stage. I didn't go to any parties or social events, just my classes, then I went home to Gracie and I's shared apartment. My time was mostly set on my studies as I wanted to get my bachelors degree to start working. As did my parents, they wanted everything that was the best for 'their little girl', and that didn't include friends, I was lucky enough to have Gracie.

Now I'm almost twenty-two and have an internship set up by my dad, of course, and today was my first day. It was an assistant job to the boss of Grant Incorporate, just for the summer break. My mother said she just knows it'll look good on resumes. Again, the absolute best for me.

I dashed around to grab my purse and phone before heading downstairs, "Wow, whoever your boss is is going to drop dead of a heart attack. Look at you!" Gracie beamed with her mouth agape.

A laugh escaped me while she joined me, and we soon headed outside to her car. I was pretty nervous all the way there. One car ride later, the big building made of black pane came into view all too fast.

'Grant Incorporate.'

They were known for giving huge loans to charities in need as well as communities, hospitals, etc. They also helped develop many small businesses within their franchise. I got out of the car and shut the door behind me with shaky hands.

"Alright, knock em dead,  kiddo." Gracie shouted through the window at me.

I rolled my eyes at the remark, "Thank you." I replied, feeling my cheeks heat up at anyone who heard that.

Here goes everything, I opened the glass door as I saw the building buzzing with men and women in business attire. At least I dressed appropriately, I headed straight for the receptionist area where a desk had been. A woman was on the other side with a computer ready to abide by any of my concerns.

"Hello, my name is Mads. How may I help you?" her aura screamed politeness, making me feel better.

Yet my breath caught in my throat, and I struggled to find words. I had zero socializing skills except for Gracie, who had been the one to talk to me first. So it wasn't out of the ordinary that I always found it incredibly hard to speak to someone. That wasn't my parents and Gracie at least.

After counting to three, I finally spoke, "Hi, I'm Belle Fawn. I'm here for my first day as-"

"Wait, your belle?" she asked, that seemingly polite attitude flying threw the window with my confidence.