Chapter 5

Belle Fawn

When we walked back to the elevator after the meeting, the silence was loud. The theme was picked after thirty more minutes. It would end up being a black and white ball hosting raffles to win electronics to raise money. The rest of the meeting had been fun as Nathan kept messing with me in small ways nothing to drastic to be a disruption though. I knew it was unprofessional of us but, I was bored and it was harmless. Or so I thought, Liam seemed bothered just like yesterday and I hope it wasn't because, of me.

The elevator closed and I looked down before remembering I had his notebook so I turned, handing it out to him. Our eyes locked briefly and he grabbed it opening it to what I assume was my notes.

"You know you should really be focusing during the meetings." he stated, making me look at him to see he was eyeing the mini drawings on my paper.

"I did, I mean I was." I answered quickly, his inspecting eyes looking up from the notebook to me.

"Then why were you talking to Nathan for the last half hour of the meeting?" his tone was stoic and questionable.

Again my throat closed up and I couldn't speak, shoot. So he was bothered by that maybe I should have been more responsible. What if he tells my dad he would not like that at all. I'd probably be chewed out for days and after that it still won't be enough for him.

"Um, I'm sorry." I said sincerely with all of the emotion I could muster up.

The way his stare lingered on me made me want to hide my face, "Just make sure your flirting on your own time." Just as he said that the elevator dinged and he walked out.

As for me I was left completely stumped, I felt my cheeks heating up immensely.

He thought I was flirting, I don't even know how to flirt!

"I-i wasn't flirting." I found my voice merely as a whisper while I trailed behind him.

This seemed to make him stop in his tracks and turn around where I stopped to leave some much needed space between us. I did not want a repeat of the incident in the elevator. We were so close and it made me fuzzy.

"Oh, really?" he questioned in a sarcastic manner yet again raising his eyebrow.

Yes, how would I flirt? Sure Nathan is a nice guy and he's sweet but, for now he's a friend for all I know. Without wanting to seem like I'm explaining myself too much to him I just nodded. Those once hazel eyes of his seemed to grow darker losing the golden specks. I watched his hands twitch at his sides and his jaw lock.

The way he shut his eyes and slowly breathed in had me in utter confusion. Then he turned around and left back to his office completely abandoning the whole conversation. My eyebrows creased in confusion, what just happened?

When I could physically move myself I seen Liam entering his office already while I entered mine. My head was a jumbled mess, Nathan was just a friend Liam was just my boss. So why did it feel like I had to explain myself to him instead of him just ending the conversation. I plopped onto my chair and laid my head in my hand on my desk.

It was now almost twelve and I was internally battling on if I should go ask Liam if he was hungry. I wasn't but, maybe if he was he'd call for me on the machine I have on my desk. So I relied on that instead of being an actual adult and asking him. As I sat and watched the machine it beeped, it really beeped.