ninety nine: gone too soon

"is he ever going to be okay?" garcia asked morgan as they observed reid sitting at his desk. he was mindlessly staring at your picture again- something he had done ever since that night only a few days ago.

"i'm not sure, garcia," he said, taking a sip of the coffee. "he really loved her."

"what happened that caused him to become so robotic?" she asked softly. "did she-"

"she was murdered," morgan said softly as they kept staring at reid who was still staring at your photo. it was a picture from your two year anniversary. he didn't want to take his eyes off of you.

you looked so pretty that day.

"hey, what's going on?" prentiss said as she came over and fixed a cup of coffee for herself before facing garcia and morgan. morgan turned to her but garcia spoke up first.

"it's reid," she muttered.

prentiss looked over towards him as she observed how he was sitting. all three kept staring at him.

"i can't imagine losing someone like that," garcia said softly. "it's just so heartbreaking."

"why is he even here though? he could stay home," prentiss said as morgan looked over at her.

"we tried to tell him but he was insistent on coming in to work. we're not sure why," he said. garcia let out a soft sigh.

"maybe it's because of that picture."

"what's so special about it?" morgan asked.

"reid told me all about it and how it was during their two year anniversary date that they went out on. he couldn't get over how pretty she was," garcia said softly. "i'm not sure i can handle this. it's so hard to see him in this kind of way."

morgan set down his coffee cup, walking over to where reid was sitting as he pulled up a chair to sit next to him.

"hey there, kid," he said. reid didn't take his eyes off of the picture, keeping his grip on it. "how you doing?"

"all things considered, i could be doing better."

he waited for reid to continue on with something that had to deal with the subject but he didn't continue with his usual rambling. morgan looked back towards everyone else that was still standing in the coffee nook. he shook his head. 

garcia felt some tears come into his eyes as she watched reid continue to stare at the photo while morgan tried to come up with something to say to him. 

"reid, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. you know that any one of us would give up everything we're doing just to help you out, kid," he said softly as reid nodded. 

"i just wish she hadn't left me so soon," he  said softly. "she was gone too soon."

his voice cracked on the last part of the sentence as morgan tried to keep himself together. he had never seen reid like this and it was taking even a toll on him. everyone knew how much reid loved and adored you and how big of a loss this was.

all they were going to be able to do was wait for reid to get himself in a better mindset. and while it might take some time, they were all willing to wait if it meant that reid would be okay someday.

it just wouldn't be today.