eighty three: rumors

"i heard that they got engaged," prentiss said. "apparently someone from the office saw them together at the diner downtown and saw it all happen."

garcia shook her head as she took a sip of her drink.

"no, no," she said. "i was told that they eloped and that's why ____ wasn't here for a couple of days."

"but then why would reid have been here and _____ not?" j.j. asked

morgan stirred his drink before putting the spoon in the sink and joining in the conversation as he listened in.

"i'm pretty sure that they got engaged and didn't elope yet. reid has been seeming really peppy lately, more than usual," rossi said.

"or maybe they even just did it for the first time," morgan said. everyone looked at him with a weird look as you suddenly walked over to where everyone was and set your empty cup in the sink.

when you turned around, you saw everyone looking at you, some of them sipping on their coffee or just looking at you.

"hey, guys," you said, a concerned tone of confusion in your voice as you walked out of the area and back over to your desk area before sitting down in your seat.

"are you sure that she's engaged?" j.j. asked.

prentiss turned to face her. "i think that we need to watch reid's behavior and their behavior together."

morgan nodded. "i still think they did it."

garcia lightly punched him in the arm before they all began walking over to the conference room. morgan came over to walk with you, letting the rest of the team go up.

"hey, _____," morgan said as he watched you grab your stuff that was for the case and then look up at him.

"hey," you said, before logging off your computer. "everything okay?"

he nodded. "yeah, everything is great. have you and reid talked about anything new lately?"

you kept your pace with his.

"mm, like what?" you asked, looking up at him before giving him a small smile and then proceeding to open the door to the room.

"oh, i'm not sure. just anything specific. anything with you and reid?" he asked as you nodded.

"oh, yeah," you said. morgan perked up slightly as you two walked in the room. "we ate at a new diner last night. it was pretty good but reid kept telling them exactly how the sushi should've been made."

"oh," morgan said softly as you gave him a smile before taking your seat next to reid.

morgan looked at you again, seeing your eyes observing the case as he looked towards your wedding finger that didn't have a ring. he looked over towards reid, watching as he looked at the case as well before leaning back in his chair slightly, catching your attention as you turned to him and gave him a smile before focusing back on the case.

"morgan," hotch said, catching his attention.

"sorry, sir," he said. hotch nodded at him, allowing garcia to go back to explaining the case.

-
"are you sure that they aren't engaged?" garcia asked morgan as he talked to her on the phone, standing away from reid and j.j. as he nodded to himself.

"i didn't see a ring on her finger, garcia," he said. "i just don't think that-"

"maybe she's not wearing it until they decide to tell us or maybe she only wears it when she would want us to see it," she rambled on.

morgan let out a sigh. "garcia, i'm just not so sure. it just doesn't seem like they're engaged or anything."

"i'm so sure that something is going on. reid doesn't act like that on a normal basis, even with _____ around."

morgan let out a sigh. "we can talk about this later, but right now i need your help with trying to figure out who this woman may have visited."

-
back at the police station, you were going over some details of the case with prentiss as you sat in the chair looking at the board that reid had gone over with the two of you before hotch asked him to come with him out on the case.

"so," prentiss said as she looked over towards your hand. "oh, you're not wearing your ring?"

you looked over towards her. "what?"

"you're not wearing your ring. i would've worn mine for life, pretty much," she told you as she tucked some hair behind her ear.

"wait, what?" you asked. "my ring?"

"yeah, your engagement ring," prentiss said. you gave her a confused look.

"i'm not, we're not engaged?" you told her in confusion. "what makes you think that we are?"

"you're not?" she asked.

you shook your head. "no, who told you that?"

"everyone on the team is talking about it. garcia keeps thinking that you two eloped and won't talk about it but i heard from someone that you were engaged because they saw you at the diner," she said to you.

you let out a sigh, running a hand through your hair. prentiss continued to look at you.

"is everything okay?"

"did reid hear anything about this?" you asked her softly as you stared at his writing on the board.

"i'm not sure, why?" she asked.

"because he doesn't like talking about marriage. it's something that i don't bring up unless he wants to talk about it," you told her. "he's not ready for anything to get that serious yet."

"serious? yet? you two have been together for five years, ______. i would be engaged to someone by then," she told you. you nodded.

"don't tell reid but i want to get married so badly," you told her with a smile. "but he just isn't ready. he said that one day, he'll tell me when he's ready and i just have to respect that. besides, i love him. which means that i'm willing to wait."

prentiss gave you a smile as you two went back to work. you just kept hoping everyday that one day he would ask the question.