one hundred and ninety nine: mother's opinion

on your way to the main floor of the floor level of the bau, you accidentally bumped into someone before apologizing and proceeding to look behind them after they moved on.

"mom?" you asked, holding the case files in your hands as she gave you a small smile before clearing her throat and reshouldering her purse.

"hi, honey," she said as you furrowed your brows slightly.

"what are you doing here?" you asked her.

she let out a small sigh, clutching her purse.

"i came to see you," she replied.

"mom, i'm about to go work on a case. could you not have called me about this?" you asked her as she shook her head before focusing her attention on someone walking up behind you.

"_____, there you are. garcia has been looking for you. she said something about needing to talk about some sort of- oh, who's this?" reid asked as you looked back towards your mom.

"spence, this is my mom."

she smiled a little uncomfortably, causing reid to cock his head in confusion slightly.

"anyways, mom, i'll call you later. we really need to get to work on this case," you said as you intertwined your hand into his before leading him over to the bau conference room.

your mom watched the two of you go.

"why is your mom here?" reid asked you.

you shrugged. "i have no idea."

-
the team was giving out the profile now at the police station in las vegas as you stood near hotch and j.j. at the end of the line.

your phone kept ringing and you had to keep shutting it off in response.

"this kind of unsub might be classified as a-" you paused, looking down to see it was your mom calling you once more after the last six attempts. you looked up, excusing yourself before leaving.

hotch and reid watched.

"mom," you said as you exited the room. "i'm at work right now! do you not understand that?"

"i don't like the boy you're dating," she said as you got a confused look on your face even though she couldn't see it.

"what?" you asked.

"that boy. i don't like him. not one bit," she replied.

"mom, he's sweet," you replied.

"there's something in his eyes, i can see it, _____. i'm a mom, your mom, and i know you better than anyone does. what happened to that tommy boy? or jason?" she asked.

you let out a sigh, putting two fingers to the space in between your eyebrows.

"mom, i love spence. and you don't keep up with me as much as you'd like to admit," you replied. "all i'm trying to say is that you don't know me of how i used to be. i was sixteen when i dated tommy lovell and i was twenty when i was dating jason sanders. i never once felt the love i felt towards spence."

"honey," she began but you cut her off.

"i have to go, mom," you muttered before ending the call and running a hand through your hair.

"everything okay?" you heard reid ask.

you turned around to look at him, meeting his chocolate brown eyes as you nodded slowly.

"yeah," you muttered. "yeah, everything is fine."

"are you sure?" he asked, putting his hands into his pockets.

you looked back up at him from the gaze you had on the ground.

"my mom said she doesn't like you," you muttered. "said that i should've dated tommy or jason instead."

"wait, who's tommy? who's jason? are they brother's? who's-" reid began rambling but you reached out and grabbed his hand.

"two boyfriend's i had at one point," you muttered. "when i was basically a teen."

he nodded.

"look, we don't need to worry about my mom because she's just crazy. she doesn't know us," you muttered as reid pulled you into his grasp.

"it's okay, _____. it's alright," he said. "i love you."