one hundred and forty three: it's complicated (part two)

the next day at work, you were excited to go to the bar with the girls to scope out what dumb men were lurking around. most looked for dumb women who weren't dating someone or were looking for ones that were taken.

"_____," you heard reid call you as you turned around to see him beckoning you over to where he was standing.

you set down the case, walking over to him as he gave you a sweet smile. you felt your body numbing to his sweet gazes.

"everything okay?" you asked him.

he nodded. "yeah, yeah, everything's fine. i'm just-"

"you're nervous about me going tonight, aren't you?" you asked him, reading him like a book as he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck before making eye contact with you once more. "reid, i haven't gone out with them in so long that i just think it would be good for me to be able to be with them for a little while. if things begin to get out of hand, i'll always call you. i can handle myself for one night, honey. i love you," you said, sealing the deal at the end so that he wasn't worried about anything.

he pressed a kiss to your lips before you left, letting go briefly before feeling the nerves come back to him as he pressed them back onto yours. you let go, smiling up at him.

"i love you, spence," you told him softly. "like i said, why would i leave the cutest guy on this planet?"

"actually, i'm not the cutest guy on the planet because everyone has different types so therefore-" he began to ramble but you pressed another kiss to his lips to shut him up.

"you're the cutest guy in my world," you told him softly. "besides, girls try to hit on you all the time, spence, but you haven't broken up with me so what is that saying?"

he nodded, looking down towards your shoes before looking back up at you.

"okay, i love you," he said back. "have fun tonight and don't hesitate to call me if anything happens."

you nodded, slipping your arms underneath his as he held onto you. he loved this feeling- ever since your first date four years ago.

-

"i'm so excited for you to reel in dumb guys!" garcia exclaimed as you laughed, walking into the bar with the other girls. prentiss and j.j. were in the back talking about the most recent case that you had all worked on.

"i can't make guys hit on me," you said softly. "couldn't do that to spence."

"but girls hit on him all the time," she said softly.

you nodded.

"but i'm much more protective of my territory so i can handle it. spence is softer, less outspoken and therefore he doesn't speak up when he's super jealous about something or someone. so, i have to handle him carefully."

"but you have been dating for four years?" garcia asked.

"yeah," you nodded. "but he's still very nervous about any guy. i don't want to risk anything. but i'll do it one time if that gives you all a laugh."

she nodded with a wide smile, walking inside the building as you all got a table together. when the three sat down, you continued to stand up as you waited for them to tell you what they wanted.

"three beers honestly," prentiss said. "nothing crazy. well, maybe something for garcia."

she shook her head. "no, that's fine."

you nodded, walking off towards the bar where you asked for the drinks before feeling your phone buzz. you took it out of your pocket to see reid's contact on it. you sighed to yourself.

you knew he missed you but you two spent every free minute together that you could get.

you answered it while waiting for the beers.

"hello?" you said into the phone, waiting for him to respond. he finally did.

"____?" he asked softly. you nodded to yourself, running a hand through your hair. "i miss you. i miss you a lot."

you nodded, tracing over the wood pattern on the bar countertop.

"i know you do, spence," he responded. "but you know that i haven't spent any time with the girls."

he nodded to himself, continuing to sit in his apartment in the dark with the television on and a single lamp on beside the couch.

"i know and i'm trying to keep myself distracted but," he began. "i can't get the image of you with another guy out of my head."

you let out a sigh, feeling tears escaping your eyes. you wiped them away when you felt the bar tender looking over at you.

"spence, do i need to come see you? i can't do this if you don't trust me," you said softly. "and if you can't trust me, maybe we shouldn't be together."

you heard silence on the other line.

"spence?" you asked softly, observing the back wall of the bar with the feeling of a knot being tied in your throat.

"please don't break up with me," he forced out as you nodded.

"okay, hey," you said softly. "i'm not going to break up with you. i just," you continued. "i'm coming to see you. i can't do this."

you hung up the phone, wiping away the tears that were coming down your cheeks as you grabbed the drinks and brought them back to the table.

"hey, guys," you began, setting the drinks down. "i have to leave. i'm so sorry."

garcia looked at you with a sad smile on her lips. j.j. had a look of confusion on her face as prentiss observed you with a cocked head.

"is everything okay?" prentiss asked.

you nodded, looking down towards your wallet as you wiped away a tear that began rolling down your cheek.

prentiss, j.j., and garcia all looked between each other before seeing you set down a twenty dollar bill on the table.

"i'm sorry," you told them, trying to keep yourself from crying. "i'll see you at work."

when you walked past them, you felt tears coming to your eyes as you walked out onto the street.

you leaned against the side of the building, feeling yourself break down in a boatload of tears as they just kept coming.

they weren't stopping. and all you could think about was how it was complicated.