one hundred and twenty two: always know

hearing three knocks on your door at two in the morning was not usually a good sign. slowly, you got out of bed and walked to the door with only a large t-shirt on your body which covered your underwear and you wore socks on your feet. 

you opened the door to see a cold, soaked in rain reid as he stared down at you with a hurt look in his eyes. 

"spence, oh my god," you said softly. "get inside. it's freezing out there!" 

he walked inside as he took off his shoes and placed them by your door next to all the other piles of shoes you had placed there in case you needed them for work. you brought him into the living area of your apartment where he took a seat on your couch. 

you came back to him with a blanket and a concerned look on your face as he took the blanket while looking down towards the ground. you stared at him in concern while he took a shaky inhale. 

"_____, i don't know how to do this," he said softly. you continued to look at him while he stared at the floor still. you sat still while trying to wait for him to say something else to further his previous statements. "how do i still act like nothing is wrong when i'm so mad at her?"

"spence," you began, causing him to look up at you. "there is nothing that she could've done. it was an order- she had to do it. it's not like she had much of a choice."

he shook his head, looking away from you. 

"please," you told him softly. "you can't be mad at me too."

"i'm not," he muttered as you continued to stare at him sweetly. 

"spence," you said softly as he let out a sigh, scooting closer to you as he laid his head down against your chest while continuing to hold onto the blanket. his hand found of yours as you let him hold onto it. "you can't be mad at her for an order she was given. you know that it was to protect emily."

he nodded. "i know, i know, but it's just all too much. she lied to me for ten weeks. i came to her when i was hurt during work and couldn't focus and she continued to lie to me."

you nodded, running your fingers gently through his hair as he closed his eyes. 

"you know i love you right?" you asked him. he nodded, keeping his eyes closed. you waited for him to say something back in order to help him remind himself that you were here for him no matter what. 

"i love you too," he said softly, holding onto your hand a little tighter as you pressed a soft kiss to his head. you relaxed as he continued to lay on you which only caused you to smile to yourself. 

-
the next morning at work, you were searching through the case files as you tried to put the two victims together in any sort of way besides what they looked like. you wanted a deeper reason than that. 

"_____, is everything okay?" j.j. asked you. you looked up at her, tucking some hair behind your ear before answering. 

"yeah, why?" you asked her. 

"reid is just acting very differently," she told you as you let out a sigh, continuing to look at her before looking back down at the files. 

"he's fine," you replied as you gave her some files. "here are the names of the girls and what garcia gathered on them. give these to hotch please."

she gave you a confused look. "_____, what about-?"

you smiled at her. "i said he's fine, j.j."

you walked off past her and towards another room in the police department. 

"can we talk?" reid asked you softly as he came up to you. you nodded, walking outside with him as he let out a sigh.

"i don't think i can see her anymore," he told you. you cocked your head in confusion as he ran a hand through his hair. "she's just, she hurt me so badly and i'm so mad at her." 

you nodded, taking his hand in yours. 

"hey, hey, i know," you told him softly. "but you just have to last today. then you can come over after work."

he nodded. "i love you," he said softly, pressing a kiss to your forehead as you closed your eyes, pulling him towards you as you slipped your arms underneath his.