one hundred and ninety three: family affairs

author's note: WOW!!! it's been a whole Y E A R since i first started this book!!! i want to thank you all so, so much for the continued love & support on every chapter that i post. you guys make me want to keep writing this book and you guys make me feel so passionate about continuing this book. i love you all from the bottom of my heart & i appreciate you all so, so much. <3
-

"so, _____," your older cousin asked. "are you dating? engaged? married?"

you took a sip of the champagne in your hand, trying to slowly begin to take the edge off the entire situation.

it was yet another family reunion but you knew that you'd be called in- even if it hadn't happened yet. you were still trying to make your brain fuzzy enough to where you wouldn't have to worry about communication between family members.

"i'm dating someone, actually," you said, turning around to see him talking with your mom and dad who seemed very intrigued yet confused at the conversation he was having seemingly with himself.

"can i meet him?" she asked as you nodded, making eye contact with him as you nodded your head in your direction to get him to come to you.

he excused himself from the conversation between your parents as he came over to you, giving you a smile as he briefly pressed a kiss to your lips before listening to what you had to say.

"spence, this is caroline. she's my older cousin of all the five that i have. caroline, this is spencer reid," you told her, taking another sip of the champagne.

"hi, nice to meet you," she said to him, waiting for him to hold out his hand but he just did a little wave before putting it back in his pocket. "do you not shake?" she asked.

you responded for him.

"he doesn't shake hands with anyone," you replied, feeling his hand suddenly intertwine with yours as you smiled, clearing your throat. "except for me. he holds my hand."

she smiled sweetly at the two of you.

"well, mr. reid-" she began but he cleared his throat a little awkwardly as well.

"it's actually doctor, doctor reid," he corrected.

"oh, my apologies. i didn't know you were a doctor! do you work mostly as a regular clinic checkup kind of person or are you like a neurosurgeon?" she asked.

"i'm actually a doctor of science," he replied. "i'm also a credited genius so technically i could be a doctor but instead, i decided to study science in order to further enhance my knowledge and level of intelligence because-"

you squeezed his hand gently, getting him to nod as he stopped rambling.

"sorry, i tend to do that," he apologized as caroline laughed a little, giving him a smile.

"it's no problem. well, i'm going to go talk with your parents but it's been nice meeting you, dr. reid," she said before leaving.

reid looked down at you, finishing off your champagne as you reached for another one.

"hey, hey, don't you think you're all good? you've had about six glasses," he muttered softly as you let out a sigh, sitting down at a nearby table. reid did the same.

"i know, i should be. but being with my family all around me makes me just want to lose it so i drown it all in alcohol which i know, terrible decision, but what else can i do to pass the time?" you questioned as reid smiled sweetly at you.

"your family seems nice," he said, trying to change the subject now to get you to focus on him rather than another drink.

"they're just acting. did you know my aunt on my mom's side is divorced and has been more times than rossi. also, caroline's sister is a drug addict. then, you have my mom who is a perfectionist and only wants the best for me because-" you began rambling but reid smiled again, cocking his head to get your attention.

"sorry," you muttered, leaning over and resting your head on his shoulder as he sighed, hearing his phone ringing. you didn't move as he put the phone to his ear, hearing morgan on the other end of the call.

"okay, we'll be there soon. bye," he said, hanging up the call. "we have a case. a six year old boy was abducted earlier and now another one has gone missing."

you sighed, standing up and looking down at him.

"you know, if it'll take me away from this god awful party," you began. "i'm okay with going to work. i'd much rather be there than here right now."

reid chuckled, standing up and putting on his jacket before grabbing your hand in his.

as the two of you left, you began to say goodbye to your family members and explained how you had to go to work now. they all said goodbye and let you leave.

when you and reid got out of the building, you smiled to yourself.

"i love you, spence," you said aloud as he looked over at you momentarily before allowing you to get into the passenger side since you had downed all of that champagne.

"i love you too, _____," he replied, helping you get in but you stood back up, standing behind the door as you looked up at him.

"no," you began. "like, deep down in my very soul, i love you with all of that and more. you are actually the love of my life and without you, i couldn't do anything. i love you, spence, and i mean that i adore you so much."

he pressed his lips to yours momentarily before letting go and giving you a smile.

"you're my favorite, ______. you are my absolute joy," he responded as you smiled to yourself, pressing another kiss to his lips before he helped you back into the seat and shut the door.

he walked around to the other side of the car but couldn't stop smiling.