one hundred and eighty five: maybe we can (part three)

"why are you trying to break that girl's heart?" garcia asked as morgan overheard and came over to where they were both standing as you were still kissing reid in the room over.

"i'm not, i just love spence so much," she said as she looked back at the two of you. you finally let go of his lips as you continued to stare up at him. "i just don't get how she and spence have worked out so well."

"because reid loves her with every ounce of his being," morgan interrupted as garcia nodded.

"i haven't heard him shut up about her ever since their first date and that was three years ago. he can't let go of her, he can't get his mind off of her. hell, he wants to marry her! he's had a ring since their six month anniversary that he's just been waiting to use someday. maybe he'll use it now with you trying to split them up."

j.j. looked at her in disbelief.

"he's going to propose?"

"eventually, yeah," garcia said. "and it's not your rightful place to tell him not to and to date you. what kind of a friend does that to someone else? to your two work friends? you missed your chance, j.j. and you just can't handle the fact that reid is actually happy for once and that he has a girlfriend while you're stuck being single and going on crappy dates still just looking for a guy who could be ready to commit but truly isn't ready."

"where did that come from, garcia?" she asked in shock as she took a step back.

"i'm protective over _____. she's been through a lot. she's also my best friend so if you think that you could just come in here with the mindset of breaking the two of them up, you've got another thing coming."

-
while you were searching through some files later that day, j.j. came up to you.

"_____, can we talk?" she asked you.

you continued searching through the files and didn't respond to her question.

"look, i'm really sorry you had to find out at all about this but-" she began but you grabbed the file you were looking for and slammed the filing cabinet shut.

"j.j., i really don't want to talk to you right now," you said, briefly making eye contact before moving past her.

"no, ____, we need to talk about this!" she said as you turned back around from where you were going.

"about what? how you love my boyfriend? how you missed your chance to date him? it's really not that hard to ask someone out, j.j.. you should've made the move before he asked me out," you said to her with tears in your eyes. "because j.j.," you began, moving slowly closer to her. "i love him. i love him so much and if you can't understand that, then maybe we just can't be friends."

you turned back around before she could say anything and began to walk back to where reid was. you wiped tears from off your cheeks as you made your way over to him.

-
"reid, we have to talk," you said as you entered into a room with him. he nodded, looking up from the files he had laid out in front of him that he was studying. you started to say something but shut your mouth when you realized how well you couldn't say it.

he looked up at you, his eyes observing yours the whole time.

"sweetheart?" he asked gently, causing you to finally break down.

"she's in love with you and i can't do anything to stop that because she'll never truly stop loving you and she can lie to me and say that she doesn't love you anymore but really she-" you rambled but reid pressed his lips to yours, his hand on your lower back as you nearly dropped the case file in your hand.

reid caught it in his hand as he let go of your lips to look down and grab it before it fell.

he laughed gently, staring down towards the file as you kept staring up at him with tears and love in your eyes.

when he looked back up at you, he paused momentarily, studying your eyes.

"love, what's so upsetting to you?" he asked.

"j.j. loves you, spence," you muttered. "do you not understand that she-" you said softly before he shook his head.

"no, what's really upsetting you? because i can tell you right here and now that i love all of you and i would give everything up just to be with you," reid said softly as you continued to stare up at him. "but something is going on with you."

"i love you, spence," you replied.

he smiled, shaking his head.

"let it out," he spoke to you softly.

"i'm not good enough for you."

he let out a sigh, looking off to the side as you felt sickness beginning to form inside your stomach. you continued to look at him with teary eyes.

"why would you think that? did someone tell you that? did j.j. tell you that?" he asked as you shook your head.

"it's what i tell myself," you said softly. "because i'm not good enough for someone like you."

"love," he began. "you are the love of my life. i would give up everything to be with you. i'd give up myself just to see that you're safe. i would travel to the furthest deserts in the world and swim across the oceans just to see you smile. why do you think that you aren't good enough for me when you make butterflies in my stomach whenever i see you walk into a room with a smile on your face or even just a simple glance towards me. you bring me all the happiness in the world, _____, and i need you to see that."

you nodded, putting your hand into his other one that wasn't on you. you licked your lower lip before moving his hand to where it was resting on your hip.

he smiled sweetly at you, leaning down and placing his lips on yours as you felt heat rising to your cheeks.