one hundred and sixty one: insensitive (part two)

author's note: highly requested!!
-

while working on the case, you were trying to keep your mind off of j.j. and reid being together. clearly reid didn't love you as much as he did if he was dating someone new, right? only a week after you two had broken up also.

your mind tried to wrap around it all and when it started to even make some pieces go together, you wanted to break down crying which made everything unravel before your eyes.

"_____? hey, you okay?" morgan asked you, causing you to look up at him from the table you were staring at so intensely.

you shook your head. "no, not really."

"is it because of reid and j.j.?" morgan asked. you nodded, setting down the pen that you had in your hand that you were clicking.

"i miss him so much," you replied honestly. "but he clearly didn't love me as much as i love him."

"i'm sure he loved you during all of that, ____. i don't doubt that one bit. the amount of times he said 'i love you' to you and you doubt that?"

"people can fake it, morgan," you muttered, suddenly feeling your heart beginning to break. "my mom was right. i should never have dated someone at work."

you felt sick to your stomach when you said that.

morgan came over and took a seat next to you.

"_____, reid loved you at one point. i don't doubt that one bit," he replied. "i hate seeing you beating yourself up over something like this. you're an incredible woman and just because you and reid didn't work out, that doesn't mean you won't find someone."

you looked at him with watery eyes as a tear ran down your cheek.

"it's not that i'm worried about finding someone, morgan. it's that he went and started dating my friend at work, my best friend- might i add. and we've only been broken up for a week."

he nodded, looking up as reid walked in from standing outside of the room. he gave morgan a nod as he stood up, allowing reid to sit down next to you.

when you looked back up from wiping your eyes, you felt nausea immediately come to your throat.

"come to tell me how much you love j.j. and how this could be good for me?" you asked him softly, feeling sadness come over your face.

reid shook his head.

"_____, i did love you. sometimes things just don't work out and i don't think that we worked as boyfriend and girlfriend. i honestly believe that we were best as friends."

"then why leading me on for four years?" you asked. he sighed, looking down towards his hands briefly before looking back up at you.

"i was genuinely so happy with you that it blinded me to thinking that we were the perfect couple," he replied softly, noticing how you weren't looking at him at all. "did you think that we couldn't be friends?" he asked softly.

you avoided his eyes.

"you broke my heart," you replied back, biting your lip softly.

reid nodded, looking down towards his hands.

"i'm so sorry, ______."

you shook your head.

"sorry doesn't help anything, reid. you broke my heart and i'm not sure that you being friends with me right now is the best decision."

he nodded, giving you his signature soft smile before standing up and looking at morgan who just shrugged, urging him out of the room with him to go talk.

"you broke her heart, kid," he said. "she has a point, too. you're dating her best friend at work only a week after breaking up with her. that's a pretty crappy thing to do to a girl."

he nodded.

"i wanted to be all that she ever wanted," reid replied to him as morgan crossed his arms.

"and you were. i'm not sure if you're blind to this or something but that girl loved you with every ounce of love that her heart could pour out. and you broke that trust she had for you and especially now that you're dating her best friend. i think you need to take some time away from her," morgan said.

reid nodded, looking at you as you wiped your eyes while looking at the victim photos while trying to connect things.

"if that's what she needs," he replied, walking away from the room as morgan joined you back in the room.

"what did he want," you asked flatly but morgan could hear the ache of loneliness coming from deep down in your tone.

"he wanted to say that he's sorry that he did this but he also didn't understand that he was everything that you had always dreamed of," morgan said.

you felt tears coming back to your eyes as you tried to hold them back but they came out. you couldn't stop them.

morgan pulled you into a hug.

reid looked over towards the room with j.j. who was standing with him outside of the room, looking through files as reid shook his head, looking down towards the ground with a sad frown on his lips.

"jesus, i feel like such an insensitive monster," he muttered as j.j. looked at you crying, feeling a terrible gut feeling.

"we did this to her," she muttered back.