Chapter 38: Stranger

Your POV
You drag your feet into the woods with blood occasionally dripping out of your wound and onto the ground. Your feet are killing you, you're cold, your wound stings, and your hungry. Just a regular Thursday, huh?

You spot a medium-sized wooden shack with just one door and a small window.

You: Thank fuck.

You take out your revolver and you make your way to the shack. You get to the shack door. You put your hand on the knob and you slowly turn it.

You enter the shack and you sweep the area for any signs of danger. Nothing. You put your revolver in your holster.

You: Finally, something goes my way.

You look around for something that can keep you warm. You settle with a grey coat with fur-lining on the hood, just like that one asshole in the woods. You put the coat on.

You hear something from the corner of the room. You turn around and don't see anything. You take out your revolver and you slowly walk to where you heard the noise with your gun aimed.

You get to a mattress with a blanket covering something. You slowly reach out your hand and hesitate. You swiftly lift up the blankets...

Nothing. You sigh in relief.

You: Thank god...

You then hear a shotgun's fore end get cocked behind you and an old man talks.

Old man: Don't move...

Clem's POV
Clem: Get out of here. Now.

Man: Is that how your dad taught you to greet a neighbor?

Clem: I've got a gun.

Man: Smart girl. I would too. But I'm not a bad guy, honey. Promise you that.

You notice at his holstered revolver.

Man: My family and I are set up a ways downriver. I'm...kinda surprised we haven't run into each other yet. What's your name?

Clem: I'm...Carley.

Man: Carley. That's a sweet name.

You both look at each other for a moment until he lets himself in.

Man: You mind if I come in, Carley? I've been out all morning and this heat has got me cooked.

Clem: Would you please leave?

He ignores your question and looks at the decorations on the wall. He turns his head to you.

Man: This is a nice place. Is there anyone else around?

He turns around.

Man: You don't usually see cabins this big out here. Sure could pack a lot of folks in there.

Clem: Just me, and--and Dad.

Man: Yeah? And what's his name?

Clem: Ed.

Man: A strong name. I like him already. Where is he?

Clem: He's...out.

Man: Well, I'll cut to the chase; I'm looking for my people.

The man walks past you.

Man: Seven of them, to be exact. They've been gone a long while and...

He turns around.

Man: I'm worried they might've gotten lost. Maybe you've seen 'em. Couple of farm boys and an old man... Spanish guy and his daughter. Quiet girl, bit taller than you. A big black guy. This big. He says, holding out his arms like it's his stomach. And a pretty little pregnant lady.