Chapter 59: On The Way Back

You all walk away from the trailer park, down a path.

Luke: Okay... Look, I hate to ask this, but...are we there yet?

Jane: We're not far.

You: You did good getting out of there. Now you gotta keep it up.

Sarah: But...I'm not okay...

You: Just don't let me down. Please?

Clem is still frustrated that you risked your own life for her. She walks up next to you.

Clem: Can we talk in private, please?

You: Uh...sure.

You and Clem slow down, so that it puts some space between you guys and the others. You start walking at normal pace again.

Clem: Look, I know you saved Sarah, because you cared. And that's a good thing. But you also could've died.

You: Clem...I understand that you were scared for me. But I couldn't just leave her there, to die. That's just not the right thing to do.

Clem: I thought we talked about this, already.

You: I'm not gonna let people die for my safety. Look...I can understand that you don't want me to die, I get it. But when no one steps up to help, I'm going to be the one helping.

Clem looks down.

You: You have to understand that it can't just be about only us. We have to think for everyone, now.

Clem sighs.

You: Look, you don't have to take it from me. But maybe you'll take it from the little girl, who wouldn't leave behind a guy, that got her friend bit.

Clemetine will remember that.

You catch up with Jane.

Jane: Sarah just needs a little time, Y/N. Leave her be for a bit. I don't know about this. The way she is... She's gonna cause problems.

You: What happened in there?

Jane looks at you.

You: When we went in there you were ready to help, but then...something changed.

Jane: Look, I'd just... I'd seen that kind of thing before. She says, looking down the path again. I just didn't want to stick around for the bitter end. She says, looking back at you. Sorry, I...I don't mean to sound harsh. It's just the way things are.

You: Does that mean you'd turn on me or Clem? If we were hurt or something?

Jane: No... I mean... Y/N...I wouldn't have to. Trust me... And just because you got her out of there today, doesn't mean you saved her. I tried to save Jaime too. But she...gave up.

Luke catches up with you and Jane.

Luke: I just...I can't believe it... Soon as you guys said "go", I was the first one up on the roof. Like I had already made up my mind.

Jane: Luke, you can't let it eat away at you.

He walks up next to Jane.

Luke: Well, I can't forget it.

Jane: I dragged my sister across four states. And every morning, she'd say she wasn't getting up. So I'd convince her. Or push her. Or goddamn carry her, if I had to. Until this time... Walkers cornered us. Forced us to the roof. And then when they kept coming...I...I couldn't make her jump. Couldn't throw her. So I tried something else. I told her she could have what she wanted. And I left her there. Jumped to the next building over by myself.

Luke: You left your sister?

You: That's not what you're supposed to do.

Jane: What would you have done?

You: You don't just end it cause it's hard. You stick it out, and you help the folks you care about.

You look down. You remember that Kenny said that to you and the group.

Jane: Yeah...maybe you're right. It killed me for a long time. But I finally realized that I'd put her on a forced march through hell, when all she really wanted was for me to let her go. Sarah was that way too...

Luke: Jane...

Jane: No regard for her own safety. Or ours.

You: Sarah and Jaime aren't the same person. We don't know she'll end up like that.

Jane: People don't change. Come on. Let's get back to your friends.

A/N: I know it's a short chapter, but I felt like this subject needed its own chapter.