Chapter 71: Failed

A/N: Another short chapter.

You walk through the forest. It's cold and you can hear the moans of walkers being carried by the wind.

You make it back to that old bus. You walk in and you sit on the bed. You hold your knees and you close your eyes.

You hear rustling from outside, causing you to gasp. You stand up and you step outside.

You hear the rustling coming from a bush. You draw your revolver and you aim it at the bush.

Ava: Whoa there, Clem!

Ava stands up from behind a boulder.

Ava: It's just me.

She walk over to you, while carrying a duffel bag.

You cross your arms and lean against the door.

Clem: What the hell do you want?

Ava: I'm really glad I found you. Clementine, I know this is hard. I'm so sorry about what happened with AJ. Really. I am. What happened wasn't easy for any of us.

Clem: You have no fucking idea what you've done to me! My family sacrificed their safety, so that I could raise him right. You can't even imagine how much I'm hurting.

Ava: I promise you, it'll get easier.

You scoff.

Ava: Look, it's not much, but... Here.

Ava throws down the duffel bag. You open up the bag and pull out Y/N's hat.

Clem: Now you're just screwing with me!

Ava: No, Clem! We just--

You stand up with Y/N's hat in your hand.

Clem: Do you have ANY idea what this is?! This was for AJ. My best friend wanted him to have it, when he was old enough. This HAT...was the ONLY thing that would let AJ know who Y/N was. And now... He won't even know his name. So please, for the love of god, just leave me the FUCK alone!

Ava gets taken back.

Ava: ...I... I--I didn't know... I'm so sorry... Look, if you wanna find someplace safe, there's an old airstrip about ten or so miles south of here. Prescott. They're good people. I'm sure they'll help you out.

She holds out her hand. You smack it away.

Clem: Leave.

Ava looks down.

Ava: I'm sorry...

She turns around and walks away.

You pick up the duffel bag. You walk in and you slam the door closed.

You throw the duffel bag on the ground and you sit back on the bed. You hold Y/N's hat. You start to cry.

Clem: I'm sorry, Y/N... I should've just ran with AJ... You would be so disappointed... I'm so, so, so sorry...

You close your eyes.

Clem: I failed you...

You cry into Y/N's hat.