Chapter 64: Seperate Ways

Rebecca: You're a natural at this.

Kenny: Look at you.

You turn to see Kenny walking up to you.

Kenny: Like a big brother.

Rebecca coughs again.

Kenny: Here, let me take him.

Kenny takes the baby.

Kenny: You both should rest. Especially you.

Rebecca: When's the last time you slept, Kenny?

Kenny: About two years ago. I'm fine. Plus somebody's gotta watch you while Mama gets her beauty sleep.

He sniffs the baby.

Kenny: You never forget that smell.

Kenny walks away. You look at Clementine and see that she's awake. You smile at her and she smiles back.

You look at the doorway to see Jane starting to walk away.

You and Clem look at each other and you both stand up and follow Jane. You go outside to see Jane looking through the other shutter.

Jane notices you and Clem.

Jane: Aw, shit.

Clem: What are you doing?

Jane: Listen...I'm sorry. I've gotta go.

Jane opens the shutter.

Jane: Come on, the longer I stay, the harder it'll be. Yeah...it is what it is.

You: I understand.

Jane: Good. I was worried this was gonna turn into a thing.

Jane turns away.

Jane: You know...Jaime...Sarah... I'm not gonna stick around and...and watch it happen to you guys, too. You know the score. You're smart kids...

You: But...I thought you believed in us?

Jane: I do.

Jane looks at you and Clem again.

Jane: But give it enough time, and everyone's luck runs out.

Jane walks over to the stairs.

Jane: Listen...when the shit hits the fan, 'cause it always does, remember that you two can make it on your own. It's not an option for everyone... If things start heading south, don't let them drag you down with them. Neither of you owe them anything. They'll make you feel like you do. Like it's all one happy family. But when push comes to shove...you'll see.

Clem: We owe these people everything. They've kept us safe, looked out for us. We wouldn't be here without them.

Jane: Well, they can't keep you safe forever.

You: No one is safe forever.

Jane turns around and walks over to you and Clem.