Chapter 98: McCarroll Ranch

You and Clem stand around a table in the morning. The table has your map on and a bobby-pin that tells you where McCarroll Ranch is.

You: So they must have some sort of defenses in case someone tries to take a kid, so we're gonna have to go in without them spotting us.

Clem: How? That place is like a fortress.

You: It must have some sort of blind spot. Or maybe one of us could hide from a sniper's view and shoot the other person's way in?

Clem: That SOUNDS safer.

You: That's what I was thinking.

Clem: But what happens if the sniper can't see the other person? I feel like that makes the other person vulnerable.

You: Yeah, that's true...

Clem: I personally think that we should just sneak in together. That way we'll be able to watch each other's backs.

You: Hmmm... Yeah, we'll go in together.

Clem: Sounds good. It should take about a day to get there.

You: Yeah. Before we leave...I made you something.

Clem raises her eyebrow.

Clem: You did?

You reach into your back pocket and you pull out a hidden blade. Clem walks around the table and takes it. She looks at it with it in both of her hands.

Clem: Wow...

She puts it on her left wrist. She puts the ring around her middle finger. She pulls the ring back and the blade comes out. She pulls it again and the blade gets sheathed.

You: I told you I'd make one for you, didn't I?

Clem: Thank you.

You smile at her.

You: My pleasure. Now come on. We got a long journey ahead of us.

Timeskip
It's now nighttime, and you and Clem ride on Dyla. You see embers coming from the forest.

Clem: What the hell?

You look to your left and you see a road that had an orange light shining on the trees.

You: Oh, shit...

You turn Dyla to the left.

You: YAH!

And with that, Dyla runs down the road. Dyla walks around the corner and you see McCarroll Ranch, but it's on fire.

Clem: No.

You: YAH!

With that, Dyla starts running.

*BANG!*
Dyla gets shot and falls to the ground.

You: No!

You and Clem fall to the floor.

You take out your revolver before he could kill Dyla. You shoot the man in the neck. Clem runs up to the man to interrogate him, while you caress Dyla's head. You cry.

You whisper: It's okay, girl... It's okay... You did good... Thank you...

You put the barrel of your revolver to Dyla's head. You close your eyes.

*BANG!*
You put Dyla out of her misery. You cry onto Dyla's corpse.

Clem runs up to you. She gets on one knee and puts her hand on your shoulder.