Chapter 149: Truth or Dare

It's now the afternoon. You, Clem, and AJ walk out into the courtyard to see everything you've planned. Walker heads on spikes, all the picnic tables flipped up, people working on getting the place ready, and so forth.

You all stop walking as AJ yawns. You and Clem look at AJ.

You: You ready to work today, kiddo?

AJ: Bad dreams always make me more tired.

You: Me too.

AJ: I slept better in your bed.

You and Clem smile at him.

AJ: It's my turn to be lookout.

AJ looks at Tenn, who's up on the guard tower. Tenn waves at AJ, and AJ walks up to him.

You and Clem look at the admin building to see Louis and Violet arguing.

Louis: I have other stuff I need to do.

Violet: What stuff?

Louis: Nothing, it's just...it's important.

Violet: Goddamn it, Louis, take this seriously, for once in your life!

Louis: I've been taking this seriously for fucking days! Almost two weeks!

Violet: So has everyone. Get over yourself!

Louis walks away from Violet and past you and Clem. Violet walks up to you both.

Violet: Hey.

Clem sighs.

Clem: I thought Lilly and Abel would show up days ago.

You: Wonder why they're holding off.

Violet: Don't know. All I wanted was more time to prepare, but now this waiting sucks, and everyone's on edge.

You: Need our help?

Violet: Yeah, actually.

She walks up next to you both, so you and Clem turn around so that you're all facing the same direction.

Violet: Could you check on everyone, and make sure they're doing shit right?

Clem: Sure, we're on it.

Violet: Thanks, guys. I should go board up the back hallway, since Louis isn't gonna do it.

Violet walks away.

You: I'll go check on Louis.

Clem: 'Kay. See you in a bit.

You nod.

You both go your separate ways.

You walk up to Louis, who's practicing his archery with Marlon's old bow, but failing really badly. He tries shooting an arrow at a target made out of a log and red paint, but hits a tree. He tries again, but his arrow hits the floor.

Louis: Ugh, shit.

You: The targets that way. You say, pointing at the target.

Louis: Ha, ha. In a few weeks, or days, or hours, the raiders will be here, burn down our place, and steal or kill us. And then it won't matter how much I sucked at this.

You: The raiders aren't gonna burn anything or steal anybody. We'll stop it.

Louis: You sound like Marlon. I mean, not about fighting, but when he was trying to cheer us all up. For years, I sat around making stupid jokes, playing stupid games, while my best friend was left with all the responsibility.