Chapter 169: The Barn

Your POV
A few hours earlier
You and James are walking through the forest, avoiding passing walkers. A walker walks away.

James: It's safe.

You both continue walking. You clutch onto your bite. James looks back at you.

James: You don't have much time.

You: Yeah, I know... I'd prefer that once we get this plan started, you keep this a secret.

James: ...I won't tell anyone.

You: Thank you... I just don't wanna make this a big deal right now. We have too much on our plate.

James: You know you can't hide it forever.

You: ...I don't need forever.

You stop walking.

You: Listen, if anyone...especially if Clementine sees this, we're not gonna be able to follow through with the plan.

James: I understand why you would want to keep this a secret. But all that will come of this secret will be pain.

You: I've dealt with pain before. We all have.

You reach James' barn.

James: My people...my former people. They had a practice. They called it...collecting.

He partially opens one of the barn door. to reveal a bunch of walkers inside. He closes the door.

James: They used them as a weapon. I do this...to protect them. I know it sounds strange. But that's why I brought you here. To see them as I do. As people.

You: As...people?

James: Well, not people, exactly. But... Something in between. Part of us is still in there. Deep down. So few of us die anymore. We turn. Not dead, not alive.

You: God, I hope that's not true. That sounds like Hell.

James: To you, maybe. I think it seems...peaceful.

You: You really think there's people inside of walkers?

James: Somewhere, yes. Think about it this way... Has someone you cared about turned?

You: My brother. I had to put him down.

James: Sorry. Maybe this wasn't the best way to explain. Didn't mean to bring up difficult memories. I lived among walkers for years. Still do, in a way. When they're alone, they're harmless. Innocent. If you want my help, I need you to try and walk with them. He says, offering his mask. Then tell me if you really believe they're just "walkers".

You take the mask.

You: What about my bite? Won't they smell the blood?

James: The mask will disguise your scent. But be gentle, and be quiet. Touch the wind chime. You'll see.

You take off your hat and you put the mask on. You open the barn door and you step inside. You see a wind chime hanging from the middle of the barn.

You start slowly making your way through the barn. You aren't that nervous--you've done this hundreds of times.

You make it to the middle of the room. You slowly reach up to the wind chime. You touch it and the walkers get attracted to it.

They start slowly making their way over to get a good view.

You watch as they all stare at the wind chime. Their eyes seem to have a little life inside of them. This is mind blowing. It's almost as if their rotting corpses are powered by one spark of soul.

You turn around and you walk out of the barn. You take off the mask and you put your hat back on.

James: So...do you still think they're "just walkers"? Now that you've seen them at peace. Any different? At all?

You: It looked like there was something inside them. Something that made them WANT to look up at the wind chime. I think they're still walkers... But I also think that there's something in there.

James smiles.

James: Really? Never met someone who understood. It's...thank you. I'm glad.

You: ...Listen. I have to ask... How many walkers have you killed?

James: Many.

You: How many people have you killed?

James: Many.

You: ...Why?

James: That was a long time ago. I was different.

You: ...I don't blame you. We've all had to kill here and there.

James: ...Even your boy?

You nod.

James: Wha... Why would he--

You: He didn't know any better. We teach him right from wrong. We just...forgot to explain that part. But he's trying to atone for it, I swear.

James is silent.

You: Look, I did what you asked. Are you gonna get us those walkers, or not?

You give him his mask.

James: I thought I could, but I can't. So many walkers would die. All of the death this would cause... I'm sorry, Y/N. But I can't have more blood on my hands.

You: James. The walker in the barn, the one with the different eyes...what was his name?

James: His...name? What do you...?

You: How about the woman in the back, near the wind chimes? What's her name?

James: I...I don't know.

You: Aasim. Omar. Violet. Those are the names of my friends. The ones who were stolen by the raiders. I'll never forget that. You saved Clem, AJ, and I because you said you didn't want us to become soldiers. What makes it okay this time? They're going to make all our friends into killers. More violence. More death. And you could've stopped it.

You step up closer to him.

You: I have one last day to get them back... If I'm gonna die tonight, I'm gonna go down swinging... Are you in or out?

James: ...I may be stubborn. But I'm not heartless. Those "raiders" are cruel. They force others to be the same. And if your friends are anything like you... I don't doubt they're worth saving. It'll take some time to guide them through the forest, to the shore. Others will join the herd as they go.

He puts his mask on.

James: Tomorrow night. Be ready. I can't undo this.

You walk away from the barn as James opens the barn doors to free the walkers.

You sigh.

You: This is it...