Chapter 141: Funeral

You all pull out of the hug when someone knocks on the door. The person walks in to reveal themself to be Tenn. Tenn closes the door behind him.

Tenn: Hey.

Tenn walks over to the three of you with a piece of paper in his hand.

Tenn: Hey. Violet said to come get you for the funeral.

Clem: Really?

Tenn: We used to have them more. Then we stopped. It seems right, though.

Tenn looks at AJ.

Tenn: I brought you something. He says, offering the firefighter toy.

AJ: For me?

Tenn: I figured you'd be afraid, with everyone all upset. But you were brave last night. Like a firefighter.

AJ: No, firefighters are good. He says, pushing the toy away. I'm a murderer.

Tenn: No, you're not. You gotta have a trial first. They decide that stuff in a courtroom. That's how it works. Er, worked. Before. Back then, there were all kinds of rules. About who was innocent, who was guilty. It was complicated.

Clem: We have to decide things for ourselves now. We can't rely on other people to make the rules for us.

Tenn: Who decided you're a murderer?

AJ: Clem. But she's right. So's everyone else.

Tenn: I think you're okay.

This makes AJ smile.

You: Before doesn't matter anymore. That world is gone.

Tenn: That's a sad way to look at it.

AJ: Y/N isn't sad, he's smart.

Tenn: You sure you don't want your firefighter?

AJ: You should keep him, 'cause you're good, like him. But maybe we could play with him later? Together?

Tenn: Sure. After the funeral.

Tenn looks at you.

Tenn: They buried them already. Vi'll start it soon. See you out there.

Tenn turns and walks out of the room, closing the door behind him.

You: This is gonna be hard. Everyone's going to be upset. We need to show them we care, okay?

AJ: Okay.

You and Clem stand up. You grab your coffee mug.

You: I'm gonna need this. You say, taking a sip.

You and Clem walk up to the door. Clem looks back at AJ and sighs.

Clem: Ready?

AJ stands up from the bed and walks over to the door. You open it and you both walk out of the room.

You all make it outside to see Aasim standing in front of Willy, who stands up and wipes his nose. They both walk over to the graveyard.

You sigh.

You: This is gonna suck.

Clem: Yeah, I know.

You look at Clem.

You: It's not gonna be easy convincing them.

Clem: We still have to try.

You nod. You both look at AJ, who's staring at the blood puddle on the floor.

You: I'm worried for him. I can't believe we never taught him what to do when it comes to people.

Clem: Yeah. I just hope we're able to do right by him.