Chapter 99: Two Years After

It's been two years since McCarroll Ranch. You and Clem are both sixteen. AJ's five.

You're all set up by a big field of grass. Clem's tending to AJ by the fire, while you're sitting on a log, watching a walker that's walking through the grassy field.

You pick up your bow that you made. You load in an arrow and you shoot the walker in the head, causing AJ to gasp.

Clem: It's okay, don't worry.

Clem looks at you.

Clem: Just one?

You: Yep.

You walk over to the walker. You grab the arrow and you try to pull it out, but it's stuck. You step on the walker's head and you pull the arrow out.

You put the arrow away and you walk back over to the campsite.

You: AJ, you hungry?

AJ: Mhm.

You walk over to your bag and you get on one knee. You open the bag and you pull out a can of beans.

You stand up and you walk over to AJ. You get on one knee and you cut open the can with your hidden blade. You hand him the beans.

You: There you go, goofball.

He smiles at you.

AJ: Thanks, Y/N.

You smile at him.

You: Anytime.

You stand up and you walk over to Clem. You sit down next to her and she leans her head on your shoulder. You see your hat next to you and you put it on.

Clem: It's weird.

You: What is?

Clem: It's weird seeing AJ talk fluently. When he was a toddler, I couldn't get him to say anything.

You: Well, he's still got a lot to learn. I mean, it's weird enough that he's talking the way he is at his age.

Clem: Yeah... Guess he's growing up.

You: Clem. He's five.

Clem: You know what I mean.

You chuckle.

You: Yeah. I do.

You both look at AJ, who's eating his beans.

You: I just really hope that we can find a home for this kid.

Clem: We'll see.

You: Yeah...hopefully.

Clem: All we can do is keep trying. If that means searching across the whole world; so be it.

You nod.

AJ stands up and walks over to you and Clem. He smiles.

AJ: All done.

You: Already?

AJ: Yep.

Clem: You must've been hungry.

AJ: I was. But now I'm not. I'm just sleepy.

You: You can go to bed.

Clem: Yeah. You've gotta keep your strength up.

AJ: Okay.

He walks over to the tent.

AJ: Goodnight.

You/Clem: Night, buddy/Goodnight, goofball.

AJ walks in the tent.

You sigh. You look at Clem.

You: You wanna get some sleep too?

Clem: I kinda wanna stay right here for a bit.

You nod.

You: You gotcha.

A few seconds of silence pass. It's peaceful. The stars are pretty. The fire is warm. The woods are silent. Clem leaning her head on your shoulder is the best part though.

Clem: This reminds me of the night before we got AJ back.

You: You mean when I sung to you?

She nods.

You: There is this one song that Kenny taught me.

Clem: You waiting for an invite? She says, sarcastically. Let's hear it.

You smile. You grab the guitar and you lightly strum the strings.

You: Oh, my darlin'. Oh, my darlin'. Oh, my darlin', Clementine.

Clem: Oh, my god...

You: You were lost and gone forever. Dreadful sorrow, Clementine. In a cavern. In a canyon, excavating for a mine, dwelt a miner, forty-niner, and his daughter, Clementine.

Clem: This is too cheesy.

You: Yes, I love her. How I love her. Thought her shoes were number nine. Herring boxes without topses. Sandals were for Clementine.

Clem sighs.

You: Oh, my darlin'. Oh, my darlin'. Oh, my darlin', Clementine. You were lost and gone forever. Dreadful sorrow, Clementine.

Clem: Does this end?

You: Drove the horses to the water, every morning just at nine. Hit her foot against a splinter, fell into the foaming brine. Ruby lips above the water, blowing bubbles, soft and fine. But, at last, I was no swimmer, so I lost my Clementine. Oh, my darlin'. Oh, my darlin'. Oh, my darlin', Clementine. You were lost and gone forever. Dreadful sorrow, Clementine. Oh, my darlin'. Oh, my darlin'. Oh, my darlin', Clementine. You were lost and gone forever. Dreadful sorrow, Clementine... You were lost and gone forever... Dreadful sorrow...Clementine.

You strum the strings to end the song.

Clem: Was that really necessary?

You: A: you wanted me to play it. B: you know you loved it.

She playfully rolls her eyes.

You: Admit it.

She sighs.

Clem: Fine. I liked it.

You: Of course you did. You like guitars.

Clem: I think I like the guy who PLAYS the guitar a lot more.

You: Well, I like the girl who listens to him.

She smiles. You peck her on the lips.

You: You ready for bed?

Clem: I think so.

Clem stops leaning her head on your shoulder and you both stand up. You kick dirt into the fire and it goes out.

You and Clem both walk inside the tent to see AJ already asleep in his sleeping bag. Clem gets on her knees next to him and kisses him on the forehead.

You take off your hat and glasses, and you get inside of yours and Clem's sleeping bag.

Clem takes off her hat and dirty red leather jacket. You make room for her in the sleeping bag and she joins in.

You and Clem smile at each other. You rub her arm as you stair into her beautiful hazel eyes.

You whisper: Goodnight.

Clem whisper: Goodnight. I love you.

You whisper: I love you too, Clem.

You both kiss. You pull out of the kiss and you both drift off to sleep.