Chapter 76: After Leaving

Your POV
2 years ago
It's been a few hours since you left Clem and AJ at Wellington.

You sit on a log next to a campfire. You stare at the fire. A walker approaches, but you don't care. It walks into the fire and falls to the ground. It tries to reach for you, but you don't care. You watch the walker burn.

Kenny walks up to the walker and stabs it in the head. He looks at you with concern.

Kenny: Y/N, you gotta talk to me.

You: It doesn't...feel right...

Kenny: What are you talkin' about?

You: I know it was the right thing to do...but why does it feel so wrong?

Kenny kneels down in front of you.

Kenny: You're just having second thoughts. It's normal.

You stand up and you walk away.

You: This doesn't feel normal, Kenny. It feels like...pain. Why does it hurt so much? Do you think I made the wrong decision?

Kenny stands up and walks over to you. He places his hand on your shoulder.

Kenny: Look at me, kid.

You look up at him.

Kenny: What you did, was very brave of you. I know it don't feel right. But that's only because you two've known each other for years. You did the right thing.

You look at the ground.

Kenny: Listen... We need to think of a plan. Wellington's not gonna let us in. We learned that the hard way. But we gotta do somethin'. We need a destination. Those supplies that Edith gave us, should last us a while. But it won't last forever. If we could think of a safe place for us, then we should be all set. We need to go somewhere that won't be able to say no to us.

Kenny crosses his arms and sighs.

You: How about...Florida?

Kenny looks at you.

You: Lee told me that's where you were planning on going when we first met.

Kenny raises his eyebrow and nods his head.

Kenny: Yeah...

He looks into the woods.

Kenny: That could work! We could find a boat. It'll be warm. There'll be fish. It would be paradise! Y/N, you're a genius!

You: Well, how do we get there?

Kenny: We walk.

You: From Virginia to Florida?

Kenny: You got any better ideas?

You sigh.

You: When do we head out?

A/N: Play the song at the top. (Not mine)

You and Kenny wake up in your tents. Kenny yawns and looks at you.

Kenny: Come on.

You look next to you, expecting to see Clementine, but then you remember. You sigh and stand up.

You and Kenny pack up everything. You walk over to the edge of the cliff and look in the distance, to see Wellington. You see smoke rising in the air from in there walls.

You turn around and you and Kenny start walking.

Timeskip
You and Kenny walk down a road. You look at the tall grassy field next to you.

Kenny's dragging his feet because of how much you've both been walking.

You both walk by a neighborhood that looks like it's been abandoned for ages.

You're about to walk into the neighborhood, but Kenny grabs your shoulder. You look back at him and he points at something. You look at what he's pointing at. It's a small herd on its way down the road.

You sigh and look down. You turn around and you both continue to walk south.

Timeskip
It's been a few weeks. Your hair's gotten longer. You sit by a campfire at nighttime, with your chin in your hand.

Kenny walks up to you and hands you a can of food. You smile at each other and you begin to eat.

Timeskip
You both continue to walk down a road.

Kenny taps you on the shoulder, so you look at him. He points at something. You look to see a walker up ahead. You both approach it. You kick it's knee, brining it to the ground, so Kenny stabs it in the head.

You and Kenny continue walking.

Timeskip
Kenny's trying to get into a gas station. You're leaned against the wall, looking at the men's bathroom door. There's a walker sticking its arm through the cracked open door, but it can't open it because the door is chained up. It's trying to reach for you and Kenny.

You just watch it growl.

Timeskip
You and Kenny are staying at an abandoned house. Kenny set up the fireplace. He walks over with another log and puts it in the flames. He pokes the log with the fire poker.

You reach into your back pocket and you pull out your grandparents' wedding rings. You fiddle with them.

Timeskip
You both make it to an auto repair shop. You look through the windows and see a few walkers inside. But there're four cars. Each one seems to be in good condition. Jackpot.

Kenny puts his hand on the knob and he looks at you. You draw your knife. Kenny draws his knife counts down with his fingers. Three... Two... One... Zero.

He slams the door open and you both begin to kill the walkers. You take out one's knee and you stab it in the head. Kenny stabs a walker in the bottom of the jaw and it falls. You push one of them against a window and it cracks the walkers head open, killing it.

All of the walkers are dead.

Kenny walks into an office area and picks something up. He looks at you and brandishes an eyepatch. You chuckle.

Kenny: You want it?

You shake your head with a smile. He takes off his hat and bandage and places the eyepatch around his missing eye. He puts his hat back on and grabs some keys.

He walks over to a car and puts the keys in the ignition switch. It works.

He laughs.

He looks at you and smiles.