Chapter 144: The Whisperer

You and Clem continue to follow the teen dressed as a walker. AJ occasionally groans and whimpers. The teenager points at a log.

Teen: There.

You carefully lay AJ down onto the log. You and Clem look at his wound. It's pretty bad.

The teen jams a torch into the fallen log next to AJ's head, causing Clem to gasp.

The teen grabs the bottom of AJ's shirt and awaits your approval. You and Clem nod. The teen pulls AJ's shirt up, revealing his bloody midsection.

Teen: Get the shrapnel out.

You: Wh--me?

Teen: I'll keep him still.

Clem: I'll help.

Clem and the teen hold AJ down. You take AJ's small knife out of his pocket.

You use the knife to carefully get the buckshot out of one of his bullet wounds, causing AJ to groan loudly.

You do this with the other two.

AJ: Trying not to be loud.

You: It's okay, AJ, just breathe.

Teen: Put your hands there. Stop the bleeding.

You put pressure on AJ's wound with your hands. Clem places her hands on top of yours. You look up at her and you both weakly smile at each other.

The teen takes out a roll of duct tape.

Clem: It's okay, AJ. He's just gonna patch you up.

The teen covers his wounds with duct tape.

Teen: It's enough, for now.

The teen takes the torch and walks away. AJ tries getting up.

You: Whoa, whoa, whoa, easy, easy. You say, putting your hand on his chest.

AJ: Where's our stuff? My gun?

Clem: We lost it, buddy.

You take your hand off of his chest.

AJ: Louis and Violet ran. He says, rubbing his face with his hand. They're safe.

You: Yeah, probably.

AJ lays back down.

AJ: It sucks.

AJ begins shivering. You look up to see the teen sitting at a fire inside a campsite.

You pick up AJ bridal style and the three of you start walking over to the teen. Clementine kinda feels bad that she isn't really doing anything to help AJ right at the moment.

Clem: I can carry him.

You: No, no, I got him.

You all make it to the campsite. You sit AJ down against a fallen tree and you and Clem sit to his right.

Teen: I didn't mean to endanger you. The walkers were sent to help you.

You: You sent the walkers?

Teen: Was part of a group. Call themselves Whisperers.

Whisperer: They've learned to live in herds, among walkers. Move among them. Sometimes, guide them.

You: Why are you alone? If you were part of a group?

Whisperer: They attacked a community. Saw the carnage. Didn't want to be part of it.

AJ groans again, but not as loud.