Chapter 53: Escaping

It's night time and you all sit around the fire. Clem cleans your wound while you all wait for Carlos to be done helping Kenny. You didn't get knocked out, 'cause Troy hitting you was something that you could Handle. Clem holds your hand, because she's kinda scared about what'll happen soon. Rebecca is comforting Sarita. Luke and Mike are talking to Bonnie and Vince through the door.

Luke and Mike walk back to the group.

Rebecca: What'd they say?

Luke and Mike sit down.

Mike: They said they can get us out of the pen if we can get the PA system going. Second they hear it, they'll run over and spring us.

Rebecca: That's great.

Luke: It's not great.

Rebecca: What're you talking about?

Luke: Look, I know part of this is my fault, I--I know. I was hungry, I got reckless tryin' to steal some food and I got caught...

Clem: We can't stay here!

Rebecca: Exactly. We have no idea how long Alvin's got before Bill just kills him. We have to leave now.

Luke: Look, I hear what you're saying, but it's risky.

Nick: It is pretty damn risky, guys.

Mike: Risky? Did you see what that son of a bitch just did? Look, the plan works. Nothing needs to change. It's all set up. The hard part is done. This guy's fucking crazy. Who knows what he'll do next?

Luke: Yeah, but now we're dealin' with a guy beat to shit, Sarita in no shape to do anything, and I'm a goddamn mess. Look, we should rest up, okay? We should bide our time, and we should wait for an opening.

Mike: Bonnie and Vince are agreeing to help us tonight.

Luke: And that doesn't mean they can't do it some OTHER night.

Nick: I don't know, guys... Luke's makin' sense. Maybe we should wait.

Rebecca: We're NOT waiting.

Luke: Ain't nothin' out there, guys. Trust me, I looked! There's no food, there's no supplies. They picked everything clean. I'm just sayin', we gotta be sensible about this.

Mike: This IS being sensible.

You look back at Kenny and Carlos.

You: The hell's taking so long?

Luke: He's workin' on it. Give it a little time.

Clem: We need to leave now. It's only gonna get worse.

You: She's right. Our best chance is to use this herd as an advantage, WHILE we still have it.

Carlos walks over to the group. Sarita looks up at him, hoping that what he tells the group will be good news. You look over at Kenny.

Luke: This is what I'm talkin' about. We're in no shape to go now.

Clem: Is he gonna be okay?

Carlos: His orbital is crushed... I don't think there's much hope for the eye... I got him as stable as I could, cleaned it, got some of the swelling down, bandaged it as best I could...but until he wakes up...we won't know if there's any damage to the brain.

Sarita continues to sob in her hand.

Mike: Fuck.

Luke: Okay, look...maybe I'm just playin' devil's advocate here, but if...damn it, if y'all are serious about goin' tonight, then we're gonna have to start talkin' about maybe...leavin' some folks behind.