chapter 14: the fright of her life

<OST: Winter Flower - Younha ft. RM>

"Eh?"

As Jennie stood in front of the elevator, about to go home from work after a long day, she spotted a guy next to her, wearing the same black outfit - black bucket hat and black mask included - she had seen 105 wearing a couple days ago. And even though Jennie felt terrible, she mustered up enough energy to put on a smile and tap him on the shoulder.

But the moment she locked eyes with the guy, she realised at once that it wasn't him. The eyes... they were different. In fact, the supposed guy... was actually a girl.

"Oh, sorry-" Jennie laughed it off and stepped back quickly. "I thought you were someone I knew, I'm sorry."

The girl looked away at once, not uttering a word. Jennie frowned as she watched her from behind. She had never seen her before, throughout the entire time she had lived here of around five years... but then again, she hadn't seen 105 before either. It was a giant apartment complex after all. For sure, there were some people she would have never met before.

Come to think of it, she wasn't 105, but she sure dressed like him and behaved like him. Even their statures was similar. Was it the fashion these days? To wear a full black outfit and hide their faces? Under this sweltering hot summer day? Jennie shrugged as she stepped into the lift with the girl.

Jennie quickly hit the '8' button habitually. The girl hesitated for a bit before hitting the '11' button. Then, the lift began rising slowly.

Jennie glanced at the box in the girl's hands momentarily, wondering what was inside. But being the reclusive person she was, Jennie ignored her curiosity and looked down at her phone instead. Jimin had told her to stop reading comments, and so did Jungkook... but to Jennie, reading the comments was like a drug. She knew it would harm her, but yet she couldn't stop herself from reading it.

"So, this is where you live."

Jennie froze, as she looked up at the girl, who stood facing the lift doors, looking like she hadn't just spoken at all.

"Sorry... what?" Jennie clutched onto her phone nervously. "I didn't hear you."

"So you stay here, Jennie Kim."

Jennie's eyes widened and heart began pounding hard and fast against her chest as all her red flags went off inside her head. She frantically glanced up at the floor number - it was still at Level 3... Jennie hurriedly unpressed the '8' button and pressed the '10' button instead, knowing that there were CCTVs on that floor.

"W- Who are you?" Jennie stammered, as her hand slid into her bag, ready to grab hold of her pepper spray any time. "W- What do you want from me?"

"I've followed you for a long time..." the girl continued, turning around and stepping towards Jennie a little by little. "Jennie Kim."

Jennie wanted to yell, but nothing came out. She stared straight at the girl, her hand on her pepper spray in her bag, but her body was way too frozen to even move. Jennie felt so helpless in that moment that tears began forming in her eyes - she felt like she was about to die and yet, she could do nothing about it.

The girl took a step towards her, opening the box with a penknife she retrieved from her pocket. Jennie's eyes slammed shut immediately, a single tear sliding down her cheek as she prayed to God that she was going to be alright. She held up her arms, bracing herself for an impact of some sort - which never came.