chapter 104: the final time

<OST: Tell me about your day - Kwon Jin Ah>

"You're back home later than I expected."

Seokjin took off his shoes by the door and stepped into the house, nodding subtly. Jungkook watched as Seokjin walked past the couch, towards his room.

"Did you manage to return it?"

Seokjin didn't answer.

Jungkook knew at once. "You didn't, did you?"

Seokjin let out a deep sigh as he pulled out the brown leather book from behind his back. "I really tried, JK. I went there, and Moon Byulyi answered the door. I tried all kinds of ways to leave it there - I considered leaving it by the door, dropping it into their mailbox, shoving it under the door, throwing it at them and running off, distracting her and sliding it into the house... but in the end, I still failed."

Jungkook pursed his lips, acting like he didn't care. "So what did she say then?"

"Moon Byulyi?" Seokjin inhaled sharply, recalling all the nasty things she had said to him about their relationship. "She said that she knows you're hurt by what Jieun did, but that doesn't mean you can keep hurting her back the same way by rejecting her."

"That's all?"

"Er... no-" Seokjin carried on. "She also said she doesn't care whether you want to read it or not... and she also told me to tell you to either be a man and read it, or throw it away."

"Okay...?"

"And that's not all-" Seokjin sighed. "She also asked me not to ever come by ever again, because every time I go by, Jieun will think of you and get upset. And seeing Jieun in upset also makes her upset."

"And...?"

"And..." Seokjin held up the diary. "And if to you, this really is just a piece of garbage not worth his attention, you should get rid of it on your own instead of acting like some child."

"That's harsh."

"Yeah," Seokjin said quietly. "But... I kind of agree."

Jungkook frowned as he looked up at Seokjin. "You... agree?"

"Yeah," Seokjin said as he carefully placed a hand on Jungkook's shoulder. "I know the past week has been awfully hard for you, Jungkook-ah. I also know Lee Jieun did you wrong and you deserve to be mad at her. But I always believe that everyone deserves a second chance."

"Well-" Jungkook shook his head firmly. "I guess I'm different from you then - I don't believe in second chances."

"You don't believe in second chances...?" Seokjin raised his eyebrows. "If you don't believe in second chances, you wouldn't have spoken to Jieun today at the office... you also wouldn't have told me to return the diary to Jieun. Secretly, deep down inside of you, you want to give her a second chance."

Jungkook was silent for a while.

"No, I don't."

"Don't deny it," Seokjin said quietly.

"I really don't," Jungkook insisted.

"People are different, JK-" Seokjin tried to persuade Jungkook. "I know you've had bad experiences in the past, but it's unfair to impose those same beliefs on another person - in this case, Lee Jieun."

"Hyung, who's side are you on?" Jungkook asked in disbelief. "Do you even know what exactly she did to me? Are you really my hyung or...?"

"I'm just saying..." Seokjin bit his lower lip nervously, knowing that he was risking a lot, just to be sitting here arguing with Jungkook. "People make mistakes sometimes... and if you can give him a second chance, why not?"