chapter 105: i'm in trouble

<OST: Orbit - Hwasa>

Beams of sunlight shining through his curtain and birds chirping outside his window told Jungkook that a whole night had passed and it was a new day. Jungkook lay on his bed, his eyes fluttering back open for the 500th time that night. He was exhausted beyond belief and understandably frustrated that no matter how tired he was, he couldn't fall sleep.

His eyes heavy and body sore from working nonstop all day, Jungkook reached out an arm and flicked on the switch next to his bed. The bedside lamp flickered on a split second later, as Jungkook sat up straight on his bed.

Stupid insomnia.

Jungkook glanced nonchalantly to his right and spotted the brown leather diary lying over there. His eyes lingered for a few seconds as he sat there, thinking whether to pick it up or not. His mind flashed back to everything that had happened throughout the past week.

How he had unintentionally learnt about Jieun's real identity, how they had fought, how he had yelled at her, how she kept defending herself to the very end. How everyone who knew about the matter seemed to be siding with her, how even Seokjin was trying to tell him to read it. How he got mad at Jennie on the phone because of Jieun, and how his ex-neighbour Unit 105 had spoken to him for the first time and told him to keep his private life out of his work life.

And perhaps... Yoongi was right. Perhaps... work life should not be confused with private matters. Perhaps Jieun had fooled him when it came to his work and celebrity life... but that didn't mean that every single little thing she did was just a lie to get what she wanted. The late night heart-to-heart talks, the genuine-looking smile on her face every time she waved at him, the look in her eyes whenever he praised her makeup, the sad look on her face whenever she saw that he was sad...

All those couldn't all be lies too, could they?

Maybe it was the fact that he was heavily sleep-deprived, or maybe it was the fact that he was driven by his own curiosity, whatever it was - in that very moment, Jungkook just decided to follow his heart and do exactly what just felt right. With hesitating hands, Jungkook slowly reached over and picked up the diary, randomly opening it up in the centre.

His heart was racing at a million miles per hour, but he took a deep breath and managed to gather enough courage to begin.

- - -

22nd June 2020

Jeon Jungkook, that idiot. I hate him.

- - -

Well, that wasn't a very good start.

But Jungkook was determined to carry on.

- - -

How long has it been since I've moved in? Not that long. Probably just a couple of days. Known him for probably just a couple weeks. But he's really the worst.

Today, I caught a glimpse of a weird document in his house, but just as I was about to take a closer look, his house cleaning ajumma came in and I went back to Byulyi-unnie's place to have a nice meal (since that freak does not allow me to eat any pungent-smelling foods at his house like... WHY?).

When I came home, I saw that all the things in the house had changed places. I went ahead to prepare a meal, since I thought that he must be tired after a long day at work too. But wow, I have to say... that was the worst decision of my life.