chapter 27: a serious warning

<OST: Sleepless Night - Crush ft. Punch>

"That's not what she did, hyung!" Jungkook got up from his bed later that night, after having Seokjin try for two whole hours to get him asleep. "She asked me to imagine someone comforting next to me, then proceeded to pat me on the back while singing me to sleep. It's simple, why can't you do that?"

"That's exactly what I did!" Seokjin insisted as he got to his feet. "I asked you to imagine that, then I patted you on the back. It's your own fault you can't fall asleep!"

Jungkook glared at Seokjin. "Hyung!"

"Okay, okay, fine-" Seokjin sat back down for the fifteenth time that night. "Close your eyes, I'm gonna try one last time."

Jungkook did as he was told.

"Jungkook-ah?" Seokjin said softly with a hand on Jungkook's back. "Imagine... Imagine the one person in your life who brings you the most comfort. Have you thought of someone?"

"Mm."

"Okay..." Seokjin patted Jungkook on the back as he began singing. "Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are~ Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky~ Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are~"

Jungkook was motionless.

"Jungkook-ah?" Seokjin whispered as he leaned over, checking on Jungkook. "Are you asleep...?"

No reply.

"Oh-" Seokjin let out a dramatic gasp. "I did it, I made him fall asleep-"

"I'm awake, hyung-" Jungkook groaned as he sat up on his bed once more, looking more and more haggard as time passed. "It didn't work."

Seokjin's face fell as he slumped to the ground.

"You should go home, hyung," Jungkook said disappointedly. "It's not gonna work out. It probably was just a one-off thing or something. Because I have been too exhausted over the last few days, I managed to sleep. It doesn't matter, I'm used to having countless sleepless nights, one night won't make any difference."

"Sorry, Jungkook-ah... I really tried." Seokjin sobbed a little. "I was getting so excited earlier, thinking that your problem was finally going away. I just feel so... desperate and helpless right now."

"It's okay, hyung, don't blame yourself-" Jungkook reached out and patted Seokjin on the shoulder gently. "I'll figure it out. I have the M Countdown stage tomorrow in the early afternoon - you should go back and get some rest."

"Should I just stay for the night?" Seokjin frowned. "I know how lonely it must feel when you're up all night all alone, we can have some beer and talk a little together-"

"Go home, hyung. I'm fine."

"Don't be shy, we've known each other for so long-"

"I wanna be alone, hyung," Jungkook finally admitted. "I'm frustrated too - I need some time alone to think."

"Ah-" Seokjin nodded slowly as he picked up his bag and headed towards the door. "I get it now. I'll leave first then, Jungkook-ah. Call me if you need anything."

"Goodnight, hyung."

Jungkook lay in bed, completely still, until he heard the clicking sound from the closing of his main door. He got up from his bed and turned on the lights, before sitting down on his bed once more, mentally and physically exhausted as he recalled his conversation with Jieun earlier in the day.

'I suspected that you might have anxiety, Jungkook-ssi-" Jieun had told him after his impactful stage. "I suspected it from the time I spotted the sleeping pills in your bag, and my suspicions rose when Seokjin-oppa confirmed that you didn't sleep well."