chapter 47: a funny little thing called fate

<OST: Start - Gaho>

Hyejin, who was still holding her camera, looked around her for some sign of Chungha. She had been gone for ten minutes now, where on earth was she? A whole scene was unfolding before her very eyes right now, as Jungkook collapsed to the ground, surrounded by first-aiders. If she didn't act fast, such a good story was about to slip through her very fingers.

"Ah, screw it-"

Hyejin muttered to herself as she shoved the camera on a nearby chair, hoping that camera was recording what she wanted it to record. She adjusted her hair a little, put on a serious expression and held the mic up to her lips.

"Good morning, viewers of KNJ News. I am reporting from the annual ISAC held at Jamsil Stadium right now. As you can see, in my background, a man is lying motionless on the ground and currently being attended to by first-aiders. He is 24-year-old Jeon Jungkook - otherwise known fondly by his fans as JK - a k-pop solo artist that debuted just five years ago. In precedence, the men 800m heats had just concluded and JK-ssi had come in first place - earning him a gold medal in the competition. However, what was the price of this? Did he push himself too much and overexert in the process? We do not know. Live from Jamsil Stadium, Ahn Hyejin gija speaking. Stay tuned for more updates."

Hyejin concluded her news segment as Jungkook was being lifted in a stretcher and carried out of the stadium, still unconscious. As she picked up her camera and checked the footage, she could hear the fans crying and screaming in the background, hoping that Jungkook was okay. Hyejin slumped onto the chair, hugging the camera in her arms.

She just did it. Just like that, with no preparation - she had done it. Though the content was grim and Hyejin was worried about how Jungkook was doing, she also felt a small warmth in her heart at the same time. She, a barely six-month-old news reporter, had finally recorded her first ever news segment ever. She didn't even care if they were going to air it - she felt like she was floating in the air, and that was exactly how happy she was.

"Hyejin-ssi!" Chungha came running towards her amidst the frenzy. "What's all this commotion about? What happened?"

"S- Sun- Sunbae-nim..." Hyejin looked up at Chungha, stuttering because she was so nervous yet excited at the same time. "I- You weren't back so I-"

"Everyone, remain calm!" Leeteuk's voice filled the stadium once more. "Jungkook-ssi will be thoroughly checked and monitored by our medical professionals, so you all have nothing to fear. We will definitely keep you updated about his condition as the updates come in. But in the meantime, we hope that all of you can cooperate with us by taking your seats and staying calm, so that our subsequent events may proceed. Thank you!"

"Jungkook-ssi? Medical professionals?" Chungha looked around her at Jungkook's fans who were sobbing. "What exactly happened here, Hyejin-ssi?"

"Sunbae-nim..." Hyejin bit her lower lip, now finally thinking about the consequences of her rash actions. Will she get scolded? Fired, maybe? "Earlier when you went to the toilet... the men 800m heats started..."

"And what?"

"They finished running and JK-ssi collapsed-" Hyejin hesitated. "Without even thinking, I put the camera on the chair and started filming myself, as I described the scene in the background. I don't think I did a good job at all, and I'm really sorry for not asking you before I did so - it was just the only thing I could think of in the moment, so I recorded it without any hesitation..."

Chungha pursed her lips. "So... where's the footage now?"

"Well..." Hyejin hesitantly handed the camera over to Chungha. "I'm not sure if I managed to get a good angle or not... but regardless, it should have been casted to the office live-"