chapter 31: a girl who returns favours

<OST: Boom Boom - Hong Dae Kwang>

"Ah, oppa!" Jennie frowned as she talked to Jimin through her phone which was clamped precariously between her shoulder and her cheek, with her arms filled with plastic bags of things. "Cut it out, I said I'm fine. Actually, since the case was pretty much closed last night, there weren't a single reporter in sight today. I think I can continue living here, oppa."

"I just don't understand you at all," Jimin said with a sigh on the other end of the line. "Why did you have to go back in such a hurry? Did you forget to turn off the gas or something or-"

"Well, I guess you could say that-" Jennie grinned. "Anyway! I need to turn off the gas now, I'll talk to you later, oppa. Thanks for giving me a place to stay at last night, you're the best! Remember the favour I asked you, alright? See you!"

"Jennie-ya, hold on-"

Beep.

Jennie struggled to keep her balance as she transferred all her plastic bags onto one hand and shoved her phone into her back pocket with her other. Then she adjusted her clothes and her hair a little and checked her makeup in the reflection of the doorknob. Taking a deep breath, Jennie put on a smile and raised an arm to knock on the door.

Knock. Knock.

Jennie waited for a while for an answer, before knocking once more.

Knock. Knock.

Jennie pouted at the lack of response once more.

Knock. Knock.

Jennie sighed as she looked down at all the groceries in her hands. She had specially brought all these things up here, just so she could make a meal for him-

Click!

Jennie's face lit up as she looked up. "Hey."

Yoongi folded his arms, raising his eyebrows a little. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh?" Jennie smiled as she spotted Yoongi without his cap and mask on. "You're not wearing your cap and mask today. You look good."

Yoongi tried to cover part of his face with one hand as he looked away, avoiding eye contact with Jennie. "What are you doing here?"

"I don't know about you, Min Yoongi-ssi-" Jennie began, with a huge smile on her face. "But I was raised by my parents to always return favours."

Yoongi looked up and stared blankly at her.

"I borrowed your kitchen to cook ramen that time, remember?" Jennie batted her eyelids. "I was out of eggs and you-"

"And gas too apparently-"

"Yeah, and gas too-" Jennie giggled. "Silly me, I almost forgot. And I also didn't wanna have an entire packet of ramen on my own-"

"You sure didn't have any issue finishing one packet on your own in the end."

"I feel guilty about that too, no need to rub it in-" Jennie rolled her eyes. "But anyway, you very kindly invited me into your home and-"

"I invited you?" Yoongi scoffed. "More like, you invited yourself in?"

Jennie very conveniently ignored Yoongi's snark remark. "Anyway, you very kindly let me use your kitchen to satisfy my cravings that day... so I decided that I have to repay you in some way or another."

Yoongi glanced down at the groceries in Jennie's hands. "And how do you intend to do so?"

"You have amazing instincts, Yoongi-ssi!" Jennie grinned as she held up the plastic bags in her hands. "Guess what? Congratulations! You have the honour of having one of Korea's top actresses cook a meal for you today!"