chapter 80: words of affirmation

<OST: Tell me about your day - Kwon Jin Ah>

The rest of the day passed by like a whirlwind of events.

Upon choosing their team names, which they all had very creatively decided on "JKJK" and "VRene", they began playing couple chemistry games and all kinds of games that were clearly entertaining for viewers but not that fun for the four of them at all. And in spite of being an actual "couple", the JKJK team eventually lost 3-1 to Vrene - the one game the won only because Jieun had helped them out by whispering the answer into Jennie's ear every time the camera wasn't on them.

But overall, they still lost anyway.

"Forfeit! Forfeit! Forfeit!" Joohyun cheered, following the script closely. "Jennie-ssi! JK-ssi! You ready to hear the forfeit we chose for you?"

"What is it?"

Joohyun opened the piece of paper she was handed. "Ta-da! Eating lemon!"

"Lemon?" Jennie's face turned pale as she heard the mention of the citrus fruit. "I can't..."

"I'll do it alone-" Jungkook volunteered. "Let me take Jennie's share too."

There was an awkward silence before the whole set, including the entire staff let out a teasing "woah~". Only Yoongi and Jieun, who sat at the side, didn't seem to look too happy. But maybe it was just a coincidence.

Jungkook got up from his seat, took the lemon from the production team, made sure to consume the lemon far away from Jennie, before he returned to the centre of the screen.

"Ya! Why did you eat it so fast?" Joohyun asked, out of genuine curiosity. "The camera barely caught it."

"Jennie can't smell citrus scents, it makes her feel nauseous," Jungkook explained nonchalantly as he drank some water to wash it down. "On the other hand, I'm also probably more used to eating such sour things."

The crew let out another supportive cheer, as Joohyun smirked and nudged Jennie in the side. "You're a lucky one."

"Hm?" Jennie, who had spaced out yet again and barely even registered what Jungkook had just done, glanced up at Jungkook. "Oh, thanks, JK."

"Y'all sound so cordial-" Joohyun teased. "Ah, is it because we're on TV?"

Jennie let out an awkward chuckle as she glanced at Yoongi, was busying himself with filming. "Yeah, maybe."

Taehyung got up at once, upon Kim PD's cue. "Ah, it's getting pretty late now. Dinner will take some time to prepare... so shall we start getting ready?"

"Mm! Let's go!"

"Cut!" The director announced. "Makeup and hair crew! Please touch up, we'll resume filming in half an hour!"

Jungkook craned his neck in the direction he had seen Jieun previously, but she was no longer there.

"Jungkook-ssi!"

Jungkook turned around, and there stood Minnie.

"Oh-" Jungkook couldn't hide his disappointment. "Where's Lee Jieun?"

"Jieun-unnie?" Minnie scratched her head as she looked around. "I saw her somewhere around here earlier... I wonder where she went. Maybe she went inside...? It is getting a little hot out here."

Jungkook thought for a while. "Wait for me over here, Minnie-ssi. I'll go look for her and come back in a bit."

"Is she gonna do your makeup or...?"

"I'll get her to touch up my makeup-" Jungkook said nonchalantly as he headed towards the house. "I'll come back quickly to get my hair done, don't worry!"