Up

He lost me at this point. What's the point in retrieving the true heir if she can't even get rid of the guy sitting on her throne?

"But we can help her" the General continues with determination.
"So it's a we suddenly?" I ask.
"What happened to all that talk of me dying?" I ask.

"I may have over exaggerated a little bit" he says sheepishly. I know he's lying. He just wants to use me to his disposal. He will drop me as fast as a hot potato.

"Why me? Why not your other friends?" I ask.
"If you haven't noticed, I don't have other friends" he says.
"I doubt it. I'm sure there are many men willing to die at your command-oh wait-there is, a whole army" I say with my straight face. I don't have time to deal with any more distractions.

"Oh come on. I need your help. I know you're also not having a great time. What if she's a great queen?" He asks. I was about to open my mouth to retort but he speaks up first.
"Sleep on it, will you?" He asks. He looks up to the sky. It was getting darker.

"Let's camp here" he says as he grabs his knife from his pocket and carves an arrow in a tree in the direction we are heading in.

"I can't believe we are still in this bloody forest. How big is it?" He complains to the sky.

We brought along essentials in case this happened. We unpacked our backpacks. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I saw the food. I guess he felt the same as he stopped everything he was busy with and started eating. I joined in on our meal and soon we finished eating.

I cleared up a spot for us and laid down the thin blanket. I wasn't really going to sleep on the ground. Once he falls asleep, I will use my powers for a room, with a warm soft bed.

He was getting firewood. He came back with an armful of dry wood and packed it upright.

"See if you can get the fire going" he says and leaves to presumably get more firewood.

I do as he says. I first get a few dried leaves and take out the box of matches from my bag. I easily got the fire going. I've had real difficulty before especially up in the snowy mountains.

We keep warm against the chilly night with the fire. We had a ton of firewood to keep the small fire going.

As you would have guessed it, he was still keeping conversation. This time, he was talking about his hair.

I got tired so I sneakily used my powers to make him go to sleep. I didn't sense anyone for miles and the palace was a good distance away so I materialized a small room for myself with a bed. I wasn't that mean so I materialized a bed for him to sleep on. I didn't want him getting frostbite in the middle of the night no matter how annoying he is.

I had a peaceful sleep and woke up when the sun started rising. I decided that I should wake him up as well. I removed our secret comforts and woke him up.

"Wake up" I poke him awake.
"Already?" He mumbles as he curls further into a ball.
"Get up" I say.

We get rid of any signs that we were there. We quickly snack on the last of our food and start our journey once again.

"I don't know why but that was the best sleep I had in ages" he says during our walk.
"Congratulations" I simply say. He pouts a little at my short answer.

He continues talking about nonsense. This time about his dreams. Today was going to be a long day...

We eventually run into another carving in a tree. I guess they also camped here for the night.

He did his evaluation and we continued on our journey. Shouldn't be long now.

We get to a town and it seems like the townspeople tenses at the sight of the General. Something's up.