Breathtaking

Iida and Piper rode the bus to the beach and laid there in the sand, looking up at the stars. The dinner was a disaster, Piper knew it wasn't her fault but it didn't make her feel any better.

"Don't blame yourself, Piper." Iida reached over and took her hand.

"Im not, I just wanted to make a good impression on your family."

"You made a good impression on Tensei."

"I like him a lot. He's a good guy."

"Thank you for defending him like you did."

She turned her head to him, "Anyone who means a lot to you, means a lot to me."

Iida sat up and tried not to be moved by what she said. Piper sat up with him, "What's the matter?"

"Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me, you're my boyfriend. Id fight for anyone that's dear to you." She sat behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Ill even fight for you."

"Why are you so sweet?" He asked.

"I don't know." She shrugged. A thought came into her head and a question formed on her lips, "Were you raised like that? Under the watchful eye of your father?" She asked.

"...Yeah. He's a bit of a perfectionist."

"Is that why you strive to be the best and stick to the rules?"

"I guess I never put those two together before." He realized.

"Im sorry, sweetie. I never knew."

"My father is a good man, he just likes things done a certain way, he likes his children a certain way too...I cant believe what he said about your Dad, Im really sorry."

"Like I said earlier, he knows nothing of what Dad did for me and the class. I thought I was going to be more furious than I was when he said that. In the end I just feel sorry for him."

"And my brother has to live in that enviornment."  

"Yeah, I couldn't bear seeing your brother..." Piper bit down on her emotions. "My heart breaks for him."

"Mine too. One of these days, when Im a hero, I want him to move into my house where I can take care of him."

"What about me, Ill help." She smiled. "Ill come over everyday and help him walk again, help him to the couch-"

Iida stared at her with intense adoration, "Say that again."

"Ill help him walk." She looked at his face and knew she went too far. She was merely trying to help. "Sorry, he just means so much to you-"

"Where did you come from?" He asked.

"Im sorry?" She got confused.

"Where on earth did you come from? You have to be the most selfless and caring person I've ever met." He looked at her as if he were about to cry. "You must be a figment of my imagination. No one this amazing could exist."

"Wow." She bit her lip. "All I said is that I would help."

"Well, if you're coming over so much you might as well live with us." He took her in his arms. "And you'll help him walk. And then after he gets strong enough to walk, he can go back to work. Then you and I will have time alone!" He smothered her with kisses all over her face, turning her into a laughing mess.

"Iida!" She laughed out as She tackled him on the ground. Iida looked up at her with the biggest smile.

"I can't help it." He laughed. "You're too good, I just had to rough you up." He brushed the hair from her face. "You're going to make a phenomenal hero one day, Piper. Don't ever doubt that."

Piper kissed him in reply and he felt as if the whole world disappeared for a moment. "God you're so cute."
Piper said as she got off of him.

"I think its about time we get back, its nearing eleven." Iida said looking at his watch.

Piper shook her head, "I don't want to go yet." She said with a mischievous smile. Iida looked at her suspiciously.

"You have something crazy up your sleeve don't you?"

"...Maybe." She winked.

"Okay, what is it? What's this insane idea you have?"

Piper pointed to the high rocks and Iida turned pale, "No."

"Why not?"

"Its dangerous. We could fall on the rocks and not the water."

"Its nit even that high, please? Itll make me happy."

She finally cornered him, "Ugh, alright but only one cliff jump."

Piper jumped in excitement, "You'll thank me later." She ran towards the rocks and Iida followed.

"Wait up, Piper!" He caught up to her and started climbing the little stack of rocks along the bank. When they finally reached the top, he looked down.

"Uhh...Piper, are you sure you want to do this?"

Piper looked down and her heart thumped with excitement and fear. She looked at Iida and nodded.

"Yeah, I do." She looked frightened. Iida looked at her and took her hand.

"No, you're scared. Lets go back to school."

"No, I want to so this." She said a bit forceful. Iida didn't like the look on her face. She said that she wanted to do it but her face told a whole different story.

"Piper, why do you feel like you have to do this?" He asked.

"Because its fun." She masked her true intent. There was something wrong.

"Tell me what's the matter. Why do you want to do this." 

Piper felt completely exposed and defenseless. Iida clasped her shoulders to keep her from doing anything reckless.

"I don't want to be scared." She confessed. Iida didnt completely understand.

"What do you mean? Why would you be scared? You're the most fearless person I know."

"Iida, I've been afraid ever since I was five." She bit back her tears. He finally figured it out.

"This is about your parents splitting, isn't it?"

Piper nodded, "I don't want to end up not being the fun one."

Iida hugged her tight, "You took your moms words to heart. You thought that if you're no longer fun, people would stop loving you."

"Yes." She cried.

"That's why you act like this."

"Its not just that, I hate fear. When I get scared, I have to kill it."

"Good." He told her. "But you don't have to face your fears like this if you don't want to."

"I want to. Especially now, I'm petrified." She was stopped by Iidas hands framing her face.

"You wont lose me."

Pipers tears streamed from her eyes, "How do you know?"

"Because your value isn't determined by how thrilling you are. Its determined by your heart."

"My heart? Its been through too much."

"That's what makes it so breathtaking." He wiped her tears. "Besides you could never stop being fun to me."

Piper laughed hearing him, "I guess the cliff can wait. Lets go."

"Well come back here when you're ready."

They climbed down and left to make it back to school.