THE BLACK LAKE

_______

_______

Ethaline avoided Theo, not ready to talk about what happened or admit to her new friendship...or both. She didn't know.

Draco and Pansy took notice in their lack of interaction and wanted to get it the bottom of it while Harry tried to sneak in a conversation here and there, just making sure she was okay or having someone to talk to. Someone who understood him.

"Honestly Harry you've been keeping a secret, I know it." Hermione said as they walked down the hallways, "You come up to us after school one day with a kicked in face and expect us not to ask questions." Ron added.

"I told you I fell." Harry muttered.

"Into someone's fist—more specifically Theo Knott." Ron fired, "What the hell would you two be fighting about?"

"Just drop it." Harry said annoyed, "I'm being serious. I have to focus for my second task this afternoon." He said as Hermione frowned.

"That's right! Ugh I was called down to the headmaster's office after lunch. I'll see you before." Hermione said before she rushed off. Ron also nodded.

"I was also called."

Harry furrowed his eyebrows, "Why?"

"Dunno," Ron replied as he stuffed his robes with breadsticks, "I'll be right back!"

Harry practically swallows his food without chewing before he made his way to the lake where Neville was waiting for him. As he did, he saw Ethaline's usual group of friends heading elsewhere and not far behind was Theo trying to talk to Ethaline.

"I'm only pretending to listen because I don't want any attention on us." Ethaline whispered in a hushed tone as she and Theo lingered behind everyone else.

"Well how could they not pay attention if we aren't speaking." He said, slightly annoyed, "Just please..." he said, finally stopping as she did. "Let me explain."

Ethaline sighed; she couldn't go on like this. Not without hearing him first.

"Go."

Theo's face lit up, "Seriously?" He asked as she nodded, "Well go on then." She said impatiently, the annoyance marked all over her face as she stared at him.

"I'm sorry." He first said, "I'm sorry for hurting you Ethy, it was never my attention. My anger got the best of me and when I saw you with Half Blood Potter in the Prefects bathroom while he was soaking wet, I could only assume the worst—"

"Which nothing happened." Ethaline stated clearly, "He needed my help—don't ask about it—and I helped him. He's...he's my friend." She choked out for the first time out loud.