34. draco's birthday

TRAINING WHEELS—
DRACO'S BIRTHDAY

034

On the fifth of June, Amora woke up slightly earlier than usual and slipped the present that she had bought Draco into her school bag, alongside her card. The other girls were still snoring away when she climbed into the shower to do her usual routine, however, by the time she had emerged back into the dormitory, everybody was starting to get up and shuffle around the large room.

"It's hot already," Susan groaned, kicking the covers further down her bare legs and slinging her arm over her face where sweat was collecting on her forehead.

Zena, an evening showerer, was already slipping her tie on over her school shirt when she glanced over at the ginger girl.

"There's supposed to be a really bad heatwave this summer," Zena said, "I'm travelling over Europe in August though."

The mention of a heatwave caused flashing images of herself and Cedric jumping over waves in the sea every summer. It immediately made her frown softly as she grabbed her wand off of her bedside table.

"We know," Hannah huffed tiredly as she climbed off of her bed. "You've been talking nonstop about it since the start of the school year."

Zena pouted, slightly disheartened as she finished tying her tie and moved to the bathroom to brush her teeth where Kathy had gone. Amora used a spell to dry her hair and then brushed it out, doing some makeup and then pulling on her school uniform. She didn't bother with her school jumper, deciding that it was far too hot out, and slung her robe through the strap of her backpack so she didn't have to carry it around.

Amora headed down to the Great Hall where the Hufflepuff table was filling up slowly but surely, mainly the earlier years already sat down. The other tables were quite sparse too. Amora's eyes landed on a familiar face towards the top of her yellow table, her heart skipping a beat as she moved forwards quickly, trying not to think much in case it made her back down.

"Cedric?" Amora's voice came out more nervous than she had suspected it to do, a blush coating her cheeks when not only her cousin looked at her, but all of his friends, too. "Please may I talk to you? In private?"

"I'm busy," Cedric said in a warning tone, barely looking her in the eye.

"It's important," she said, her eyes silently pleading with him.

He'd taken far too long to get back to her about catching her with Draco. As every day passed, she felt like her cousin was slipping further and further away from her. Perhaps he'd rather pretend that she didn't exist than try and hear her out.

However, Cedric brushed her off again. "Amora, go pester one of your friends instead. It's too early to deal with you."

One of Cedric's friends snorted, the others looking quite amused. A girl with braids smacked Cedric's arm lightly, shooting him a small glare.

"Cedric, she's your little cousin," the girl huffed.

"Family talk like that with each other," Benny hissed in the girl's ear. "Stay out of it."

Amora didn't stick around for Cedric to change his mind. Draco had told her that she shouldn't beg for his forgiveness or approval. Now that she had put herself out there for him, it was his turn. She wouldn't go crawling back twice in a row.

Her cheeks were blazing red with embarrassment, feeling furious with Cedric for embarrassing her in front of all of his older friends. She sat down in her usual seat, Justin and Leon opposite her as they ate their breakfast. If they noticed that she was in a glum mood then they didn't say anything.