15. the yule ball

TRAINING WHEELS—
THE YULE BALL

015

The fourth year Hufflepuff dormitory reeked of five different perfumes and hairspray and was filled with laughs and the sound of music that Zena insisted were her 'feminist anthems.' Zena knew lots of Muggle music, considering she was a Muggle-born herself, and she always played it around the dorm.

It was finally Christmas Eve, also the day of the Yule Ball. Amora had spent most of the morning relaxing around the common room with Leon and Kathy before the girls headed up to get ready.

Amora stood in the bathroom beside Susan, the two girls using the lighting to apply their makeup. The brunette girl didn't mind makeup; usually, she wore mascara and some concealer and blush, but she was too lazy to do a whole routine most days. Today, however, Amora had used her artistic skills to apply a rosy colour to her eyelids and a darker colour to her lips.

"You do look beautiful, Amora," Susan murmured from beside her.

Amora beamed over at the ginger girl. "Thanks, Susan." She noticed the sad expression on her face and frowned. "Are you all right?"

"I just-- I-- I'm sorry that I single you out a lot," Susan admitted bashfully, her cheeks burning as Amora moved to close the bathroom door, giving them some privacy. "You're easily one of the prettiest girls in the whole school and you're so kind too... I just feel so insecure when I'm around you and I act so mean--"

Amora's brows furrowed and she shook her head. "You shouldn't feel that way, Susan. You are beautiful-- there's no need to compare yourself to other girls. It will just put you down. We need to lift each other up."

When only silence came from the ginger girl, Amora grabbed a hairbrush off the side. "Let me do your hair for you," Amora proposed. "I learnt how to do this super complicated bun-thing over the summer, and it's got plaits in it and everything."

Susan's eyes widened a little. "But--"

"No buts," Amora insisted, starting to comb through her long hair. "Susan, you and I are friends. I'm doing your hair for you. Full stop."

Susan smiled gently and allowed Amora to work on her hair. Amora stayed true to her word and managed to make a beautiful bun in Susan's hair, pulling out the front parts to frame her face. She'd even straightened her fringe for her and added a little bit of hairspray to keep everything in place during the night.

"Wow, Amora..." Susan bit her lip. "Thank you. It looks amazing."

"Of course! Now, if you don't mind, I have to do my own hair."

Amora curled her brown locks loosely and let them fall over her shoulders. After, with some help from Kathy, she slipped on the dress that she had purchased from Madam Opal and found herself looking in the mirror, admiring herself. Her feet were definitely going to kill in the heels that she was wearing, but it was worth it.

"Kathy!" Amora grinned when she saw her friend. "Leon's going to fall in love with you-- if he hasn't already."

"Stop," Kathy blushed and hugged Amora, whispering in her ear, "and I think you're going to have more than one Slytherin boy staring tonight."

D.M + A.B

Amora felt anxious as she made her way to the stairs that led down to the foyer. She could hear the chatter and laughs from other students and it sort of made her feel better. Her hands grasped the skirt of her dress, hoping that she didn't trip on her way down. Kathy walked next to her.