56. paint it chrome

TRAINING WHEELS—
paint it chrome.

056

Hogwarts at Christmas time was more magical than anything Amora had ever witnessed before. It seemed like the epitome of the word, one of the best places to be. It wasn't exactly the same as being in the cottage listening to Christmas songs with her parents, Cedric, and his parents, but it was nearly just as good in a different way.

Seeing as Amora's dormitory was empty aside from her, on Christmas Eve, she'd snuck Pansy inside and allowed the girl to sleep in her bed whilst Amora took Hannah's. They stayed up talking most of the night, but nothing about Draco or Harry. They'd both promised to talk nothing about the situation for the Christmas holidays, the fight she'd had with Draco a week ago becoming nothing but a distant thought.

He'd crossed several lines during their argument. Lines that Amora wasn't sure they even needed to have. Part of her stayed up at night worrying about them. Was she a bad kisser? Was she a whore and a blood traitor? Amora managed to shove all of the thoughts away after a while, knowing Draco was being just pathetic and angry.

"Merry Christmas, Pansy!"

  Amora watched as the ebony-haired girl groaned loudly, rolling over to shove her face into her pillow. The Hufflepuff girl simply laughed, shaking her head and moving to the end of her bed where some presents had been delivered by her parents. Amora moved under her bed, retrieving the gift that she had bought Pansy in Hogsmeade.

"It's present time, Pans." Amora shook the sleepy girl's shoulder.

"I won't have any," Pansy dismissed her, grabbing onto the duvet as Amora tugged it a little bit.

"I think you do have one or two," Amora beamed somewhat shyly, watching as Pansy slowly lifted her head, frowning at Amora in confusion. "From me."

Pansy sat up, the frown not decreasing from her porcelain skin. "Amora... What?"

"A present." Amora rolled her eyes playfully, shoving it onto Pansy's lap. "From me."

"You shouldn't have," Pansy breathed, her fingers tracing the wrapping paper. "You're a terrible wrapper."

Amora chuckled, a memory of Draco telling her the exact same thing on his birthday coming to mind. "So I've been told. Would you like to open it now or after breakfast? Usually, we open ours as soon as we wake up and then have breakfast."

Pansy reached under her pillow and pulled out a small box, handing it to Amora. "We can open them now."

Pansy tore her gift open to reveal a hair grip that was in the shape of a serpent, silver with emerald details. Pansy admired it for a few moments, a small smile dancing across her features.

"It would look cute if you pinned the fronts of your hair back with it," Amora insisted, grasping it from her and moving behind Pansy.

  Her black hair was quite short already, sitting just above her shoulders. Amora reached for some strands from the front, brushing it through with her fingers and pulling it behind Pansy's head. Pansy felt as Amora pinned the hair into place with her brand new hair clip, her own fingers darting up to feel it there. Amora came back around, pulling out a few strands at the front of Pansy's hair.

"Looks cute," Amora grinned, "It's not real gold, though. I'm sure you must already know that--"

"Doesn't matter," Pansy quipped, "I love it. So much. Thank you, Amora."

Amora beamed, proud to see the smile on Pansy's face. "Ah one more." She reached down and grasped another gift, wrapped neater than the previous one. "This one is from my mother. I didn't tell her why you weren't going home, but I think she understood that there was a reason deeper for me staying here."