28. visitors

TRAINING WHEELS—
VISITORS

028

Hushed murmurs echoed around Amora. It felt as though she was still underwater for a second, the familiar voice of her mother bouncing off her ears. Startled, Amora forced herself to wake, eyes fluttering open slower than they felt. Her lids were heavy, her curtain of lashes peeling back to reveal a brighter world to her.

She was in the Hospital Wing, a place she knew all too well, and standing at the foot of her bed was her mother and Professor Dumbledore. Amora blinked a couple of times as everything came flooding back, her jaw clenching slightly at the awful memory.

She remembered laughing with Harry and then seeing somebody behind him in the line of trees. It was as if the person's face had been wiped from her brain as soon as they lifted their wand and sent her under the ice.

Amora swallowed nervously. Somebody tried to kill her.

"Ah, Amora," Dumbledore said softly, eyes twinkling upon seeing that she was now conscious. "You gave everybody quite the fright."

Professor Buckley gasped and was by her daughter's side in an instant. She wiped the dark hair off of her pale forehead and stroked her cheek, her mother's eyes filling with tears of relief. She helped Amora sit up from where the brunette was clearly struggling on her own.

"Oh, Amora," she cried, "My sweet, baby Amora. Harry said somebody did this to you!"

Amora's hand weakly moved to hold her mum's in an attempt to calm the woman down. It worked slightly, Professor Buckley appeared a little less frantic as she squeezed Amora's hand.

"I- I'm fine, mum," Amora said, her voice coming out more croaky than she'd expected it to.

"Do you remember what happened, Amora?" Dumbledore questioned softly. "Harry has given us his side of the story."

She swallowed. "I was on the lake talking to Harry. Then I saw someone behind him. All I remember is the confusion, wondering why they were there, and then I remember how scared I was when they pulled their wand out and pointed it to me."

"You do not remember who it was?" Professor Buckley interrogated, "think, sweetheart. Professor Dumbledore needs to hold someone accountable."

"I really don't remember." Amora's bottom lip trembled, fear causing her heart to race.

She struggled to comprehend her forgetfulness. But this didn't feel natural— it felt magical. Their figure was literally blocked from her brain as if something was stopping her from accessing their face and body.

"It's likely that a Memory Charm has been used against her," Dumbledore stated regretfully. "In which case, we will have to be extra careful. Amora, is there anybody you've had a dispute with at Hogwarts? No matter how small."

Draco.

Amora shook the thought out of her head as quickly as it came. It was absurd to think that he would do something like that to her. Draco could be cruel, but not a single part of her being believed he was capable of something like this.

She seemed to get along okay with everybody else, minus everything that had happened with Crabbe and Goyle after the Yule Ball. However, that was four months ago now, and Amora only recalled one figure. She felt like if it were them, they would have done it together.

"I don't think so," Amora rubbed her throat which ached, as well as her chest and her lungs whenever she inhaled too hard or quickly.

Professor Buckley rubbed her back soothingly as she glanced up at Dumbledore. "Amora's a sweet child. She wouldn't say boo to a goose."