42. professor umbridge

TRAINING WHEELS--

PROFESSOR UMBRIDGE.

Laughter and chatter came from all around Amora, all different types of puddings laid out in front of her as she sat beside Hannah Abbott, her chin on her hand. Yet another side effect of losing Cedric had been losing her appetite. Especially sitting in the Great Hall on the table that he used to sit at. She could barely stomach the small roast that she had eaten, let alone the profiteroles that Hannah had offered her.

As soon as Amora took a seat beside Hannah, determined not to let Leon ruin her fifth year, the brunet boy had immediately glanced down at his lap, not even looking up for the Sorting Ceremony that took place moments later. His smile barely returned throughout the evening, even when Kathy tried cheering him up. He looked completely lost in thought, his movements slow as he lifted the spoonfuls of trifle to his lips.

"Oh, congratulations on getting prefect, Amora," Hannah grinned, nudging the brunette's side and snapping her out of her thoughts.

A chorus came from the other fifth-years, minus Leon, as they all congratulated her on her new role.

"Thank you, guys," Amora murmured with a small smile, removing her chin from her hand. "I was a little surprised, really. I thought you would have gotten it for sure."

Hannah laughed. "Always so modest, 'Mora. Let's have a look at your badge, then."

Her breath hitched as her housemate reached forward and grasped a hold of her robes, pulling them closer. Hannah's fingers pinched at her badge and Amora watched as Hannah's face fell in slight disappointment.

"Huh," she said, "You must have gotten an old one or something. Ernie's is so much shinier."

Ernie craned his neck past Hannah to try and get a look. Amora was thankful when Hannah released her robe, Amora's fingers automatically moving to hold the badge, fiddling with it.

"Oh, yeah. It-- It was, um, Cedric's," Amora explained, watching as people flinched at his name, especially Hannah who looked horrified with herself. "Oh, Hannah, no. Don't worry about it. I'm not offended. Makes it more... personal."

"Exactly!" Kathy added, trying to ease the uncomfortable tension that had been created. "I think that's such a lovely idea, Amora."

"Thanks," Amora murmured, casting her eyes towards the front when Professor Dumbledore, thankfully, cleared his throat.

Out of the corner of her eye, Amora could feel Leon staring at her, thinking that the brunette was too concentrated on their elderly headmaster to notice. It was as if Amora could hear Pansy Parkinson's voice in her head saying "shoot him a dirty look, don't let him stare", but she found herself shying away from Leon's gaze, pretending as though she couldn't feel it burning the side of her face.

"Good evening, children," Dumbledore greeted them warmly, the Great Hall silencing. "Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start of term notices."

The headmaster went through the usual notices: stay out of the Forbidden Forest, and a bunch of other things that Filch was trying to get banned this year. Amora very nearly zoned out but managed to bring herself back before she did so.

"Now, we have two changes in staffing this year," Dumbledore continued, "We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck."