107. o'children

TRAINING WHEELS

O'CHILDREN

107

16th December 1997

"Everyone's out," Draco breathed as he barged through Amora's door with a tray of food in his hands. The girl glanced up from her book where she sat cross-legged on the bed. "Finally. I was going insane waiting for them to leave."

Amora smiled softly and shook her head, her brows raising when she realised there were two bowls of soup on her tray this time, and enough bread for a small army. Draco was going to eat with her. That was something she had taken for granted at Hogwarts. She hated eating by herself nowadays.

"What are you reading?" Draco quizzed.

"I don't know," Amora admitted as she flipped to read the cover, showing it to him. "It's a little strange, really. It's got, like, sirens and other creatures inside it. I haven't worked out the plot yet and j'know when you just can't be bothered to read the back and find out?"

Draco hummed as he joined her, grabbing his own bowl and his spoon, placing it carefully on his lap. Rather than a blazer, he had a black slim-fitted coat over his usual-turtleneck, one that was definitely warmer.

"I'm starting to run out of books," Amora said as she ate some of her bread. "And by the way, I accidentally caught the bottom of my jumper on the bathroom door handle and it tore a little -"

"Done and done," Draco answered without glancing up. "I'll get you some different books and a new jumper. I wanted to tell you that I've been thinking of a new plan recently, too."

"You have?" Amora furrowed her brows, sitting up straighter to listen properly.

"Yeah. I've been counting on delaying Potter's capture as long as possible, hoping that when he's finally caught I would have a plan or be able to get you out in the moment, but I'm thinking that...'' Draco swallowed thickly, placing his spoon back down on the tray. "That I need to take more risks."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Amora questioned him.

"Maybe I should tell my mother about how I am planning to get you out of here," Draco said, "She's probably suspected it before, but she knows I can't handle the thought of leaving her here to deal with the punishment. If I could convince her to come with us, then I would be more than happy to go on the run right this very minute."

"Do you think your mother would agree?" Amora asked him.

"I can't be sure," Draco said, "She wants to do what's safest for me - and that's to stay here. It would take convincing, I know that, and I also don't know if she would leave my father. She loves him."

"Are you okay with leaving your father?"

"He terrifies me sometimes," Draco muttered, "He always has. I... Sometimes I wonder if I truly love him as a father or if I only think I do because I've been told I must. I don't know. It's confusing and weird and..." Draco sucked in a breath. "All I know is that you have lost so much and sacrificed so much and my father... that man... he is something I am willing to sacrifice. I'd do it in a heartbeat for you. For us."

"So that's the plan?" Amora asked him gently, stroking his arm. "You'll talk to your mother?"

"As soon as it is safe enough to do so," Draco confirmed, grasping his spoon again. "Quick, eat up. Your food will go cold."

Once the pair had finished eating their bread and soup, Draco pulled Amora down onto the mattress unexpectedly, laying across her, his head on her chest. Amora giggled and stroked his soft hair.